Ned,

There may be nothing wrong with the use of  sham surgery in clinical trials. It may indeed be necessary for determining if a treatment actually is effective.  On the other hand, having  holes drilled into the skull, incisions made in the scalp and being put under general anesthesia for several hours is not the same as taking a sugar pill.
Researchers and doctors and bioethicists have all been surveyed on their opinions on the use
of sham surgery, but no one has asked Parkinson's patients, as possible future clinical trial participants, about their viewpoints. That is why the Parkinson Pipeline Project initiated this informal survey. We recognize this is not a scientific study, but we hoped to learn about the viewpoints of informed PWP.

We expect that in the near future more potential PD treatments will involve surgery - whether gene therapies or stem cell implantation - and sham surgeries are likely to be performed as part of the research study design. We think now is the time to identify potential problems and make sure ethical guidelines and safe procedures are in place that adequately  protect subjects. We think informed consent documents need to be closely examined so that trial participants are fully informed about the risks and benefits of participating in trials and about the rights and responsibilities of  clinical trial subjects and trial sponsors.
Alternative study designs might also be developed that utilize less invasive techniques. For example DBS surgery was approved by the FDA without the use of sham surgery in controlled clinical trials. We need to educate ourselves about all the alternatives.

The members of the Parkinson Pipeline Project encourage increased participation in clinical trials and we deeply appreciate all the PWP who have volunteered for trials and are leading the way towards better treatments and someday a cure for Parkinson's.

If anyone would like to add their opinions to the Sham Surgery Survey, go to www.pdpipeline.org and click on the Survey under what's new.
Thanks,
Linda herman

www.pdpipeline.org

-- Ned Gardner <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Linda:

As long as the PWP involved are aware that they are in a study and that this
possibility exists that no surgy may take place what is the harm, they
volunteered.  How else can

Can a study establish base lines and prove the true effectiveness of a
procedure without first eliminating such things as hysterical responses and
the placebo effect.

Ned