here's what i think about it:

scientifically, it would be wonderful to have perfect clinical trials,
controlling for placebo effects and every other effect imaginable, exploring
the effect in every possible subpopulation, and so on. but no clinical trial
is perfect, so we shouldn't surrender the right of PWP to have their input
in clinical trials that they will participate in.

here's what happens if we adhere to this philosophy -- that nothing is wrong
with sham surgery or, extrapolating, any sort of trial (drilling holes in
skulls?   inserting dud electrodes? injecting saline instead of stem cells?)
as long as there is informed consent -- desperate *individuals* will sign up
for trials hoping to be in the non-placebo group, but end up getting
nothing  beyond risky surgery and holes drilled into their skulls.   is this
what we believe in?    it sounds like most here don't.    one option that
PWP, caretakers, and family members have is to lobby the FDA about sham
surgeries.   if the community makes it voice heard, these can be prevented,
and i think this is completely reasonable.   there will be some additional
placebo risk, but if that's the a

i also want to point out that, as i understand it, clinical trials are all
approved by medical boards that are independent of the pharmaceutical
companies, as well as the FDA.  so there is considerable insulation from
cruel trials, but apparently not enough to prevent unnecessary holes from
being drilled in people's heads.

though sham surgery sounds pretty unethical,  the alternative is possibly
exposing a larger population to surgery that doesn't work.  e.g.  if DBS
didn't work better than a placebo but this wasn't picked up in a clinical
trial, then a large number of people potentially would have been exposed to
a dangerous surgery.   but, i tend to think this may be an overblown risk
when we're talking about neurosurgery and Parkinson's.   the one situation
that is pointed to is a case of arthritis where patients thought that a
particular knee surgery was improving their condition, but this knee surgery
is far less invasive than drilling holes in someone's head, and i think pain
is much more prone to placebo effect than Parkinson's symptoms.