Another article written by Australian researchers, also states the insistence on sham surgery as a placebo control is largely a North American viewpoint. Hmmm - if other less potentially dangerous methods are acceptable among researchers in other parts of the world -- why not in the U.S.?

 Linda
www.pdpipeline.org

Brain Research Bulletin 67 (2005) 290–297
Ethics, methodology and the use of placebo controls in surgical trials
Stephen Polgar , Joanna Ng
School of Public Health, La Trobe University, Bundoora, Vic. 3038, Australia
Abstract
"There is an emergent view among North American researchers and bioethicists that not only is the use of sham surgery ethical, but that it should also be mandatory when conducting trials to evaluate surgical procedures such as neural grafting. This view is based on erroneous assumptions concerning the magnitude of the placebo effects associated with surgery. A detailed analysis of four recent clinical trials failed to provide consistent evidence for pronounced and long term improvements in sham operated patients. There was no evidence that the results of the placebo control groups were necessary for identifying unsafe and ineffectual surgical procedures. We contend that the advancement of clinical science and the protection of individual patients are best guaranteed by adopting the principles of evidence-based medicine."

-- "M.Schild" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> This is very interesting. Do you know why sham surgery is not used in
> clinical trials in France (is this the case throughout the EU) Â and what
> types of placebo controls are used instead?

My private european  neuroscientist tells me that usually, in Europe, sham
surgery is found too much of a burden on a person suffering from chronic
disease.
I found this on:
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=544278

European and American Perspectives on the Use of Sham Surgery in Parkinson’s
Disease Research
Samuel Frank *, Karl Kieburtz *, Robert Holloway *, Renee Wilson *, Carol
Zimmerman *, and Scott Kim †
* Department of Neurology, University of Rochester, Rochester, New York; †
Psychiatry and Bioethics Program, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
Introduction: The use of sham surgery in clinical trials for Parkinson’s
disease (PD) is controversial. We assessed and compared the views of basic
and clinical researchers from the United States and Europe regarding sham
surgery as a control condition in a hypothetical gene transfer neurosurgical
trial for PD.
Procedures: We distributed the survey at the annual meeting of the Huntington
Study Group (HSG) and at the Network of European CNS Transplantation and
Restoration (NECTAR). The three-page survey assessed researchers’ views
regarding the following: prior probability of efficacy and safety of the
proposed gene transfer intervention; the ethical and scientific merits of
blinded (sham surgery) versus open control condition and whether the burdens
of sham surgery condition are justified by the potential benefits; and
vulnerability of PD research subjects.
Results: The response rates were 59 of 230 (26%) for HSG and 39 of 68 (57%)
for NECTAR. Most HSG respondents were neurologists (90%); most NECTAR
respondents were neuroscientists (75%). The NECTAR group was more optimistic
about the probable efficacy of the intervention (46% vs 31.3%, p < 0.001).
90% of HSG respondents believed the risk of sham surgery is justified by the
potential benefits to science and to society versus 53% for NECTAR
respondents. 31% of NECTAR respondents believed PD subjects are too
vulnerable to offer randomized controlled trial involving sham surgery to
them, versus 9% of HSG respondents. In univariate analyses, location of
meeting and professional roles predicted responses; in multivariate analysis,
only location of meeting was a significant predictor, with HSG respondents
much more likely to favor sham surgery (odds ratio, 54; 95% confidence
interval 4-663; p < 0.001).
Conclusions: lthough the majority of surveyed researchers believe sham surgery
control is scientifically and ethically justified, European respondents (and
perhaps basic scientists more than clinical scientists) are more opposed to
sham surgery controls in PD surgical trials. The ethics and science of sham
surgery controls in PD trials deserve further discussion in the field.