I have been reading with interest the postings about Penny Thomas and her
surgery.  In 2006, she had hRPE cells (human retinal pigmented epithelial
cells)injected in the putamen (an area where dopamine is normally produced.)

This therapy is not to be confused with the clinical trial in which I am
enrolled. (Spheramine or STEPS trials).

They are calling this a "stem cell" therapy, because the retinal cells were
taken from cord blood.  Watch the videos at the above site.

It is purely coincidental that the original sponsors of the Spheramine (aka
STEPS) trials is Titan Pharmaceuticals,based in California. Titan now
partners with Schering AG (Germany) who has also merged with Bayer
(Bayer-Schering).

There is yet another surgery for Parkinson's using retinal cells at the
University of Arizonia.  The difference here is that they use the patient's
own cells.

Peggy