Russ!  How can you be so suspicious?!?

On the other hand, you're right:  there were no standards before 2003
because the BC government didn't certify degree-granting institutions.  I
was president of the BC Confederation of University Faculty Associations at
the time, so I had a close up view of the creation.  The primary motive for
the new standards, I firmly believe, was to enable businesses to sell
certified degrees in markets such as China.  The definition of the term
university was particularly contentious (perhaps because that term fetches
the highest price on the Asian market) and the "stringent" standards was
extraordinarily vague, usually turning on words like "appropriate."  One of
the first "universities" certified offered only business degrees (though
they presented to add liberal arts degrees later), had faculty that did no
research, and had no meaningful faculty governance.  But apparently it did
have appropriate breadth, faculty, and governance to justify the term
university in the opinion of the politically appointed certifying board.

I wonder how many tenure-track faculty FDU will have on its Vancouver campus.