The Stem Cell Battle Continues...
Wednesday, August 1. 2007
Opponents are desperately trying to overturn Missouri's constitutional
amendment protecting embryonic stem cell research. They have not been able
to criminalize it yet, but hope to do so before the next election.

The Stowers Institute for Medical Research-which has a two billion dollar
endowment-canceled their planned expansion into Kansas City. They said that
the Missouri climate was too hostile and unwelcoming for the investment.

Unfortunately, these events are not unique to Missouri. There have been more
than 100 bills introduced nationwide. The few states that have passed these
bills have erupted with controversy and research has been reduced to a
crawl.

Here's some info from an LA Times article:

Embryonic stem cell research typically begins with cloning. Scientists
insert the genetic material from an adult human cell into a human egg that's
been emptied of its own DNA. The cloned cell is then nurtured in the lab for
several days, until it grows into a blastocyst, a microscopic clump of cells
that could theoretically develop into a fetus if attached to a uterine wall.

At this stage, researchers destroy the embryo to extract its stem cells -
which are valued because they are enormously flexible, capable of turning
into any organ, bone or muscle in the human body.

Opponents say such research is immoral because it involves creating, then
killing, human life in the name of scientific advancement. Proponents,
however, say the blastocyst is not equivalent to a human being; they believe
embryonic cells have great potential to cure a wide range of diseases, such
as Parkinson's, diabetes and Alzheimer's.

In my not-so-humble opinion, stem cell research should not even be in the
same discussion as Pro-Choice/Pro-Life. There is absolutely no credible
scientific argument that life begins at conception. The few that are often
touted by people of faith are based solely on theology.

A blastocyst is a three day old embryo. It only contains about 150 cells.
This is much less than the skin cells you destroy every time you scratch an
itch. It contains no circulatory system, no nervous systems, no respiratory
system, no heart, and no brain.

If you believe that an eternal "spirit" is created at conception, you have
several questions to answer. Here are just three:

1. What happens to a spirit when an embryo is frozen for several years? When
it is thawed out and brought to life, how old is the spirit at birth?
2. Embryos at this stage can divide into identical twins. Is a new spirit
created? Or will one twin be spiritless?
3. Also at this stage two embryos can merge into one. This is called a
chimera. Does God kill one spirit; or is this true cause of
split-personality disorder?

Many may refuse to answer these questions and insist that life begins at
conception. If this is your stance, please explain to me why this "life" in
a Petri dish is equal to the "life" of Christopher Reeve or Michael J. Fox.
Is it equal in value to my grandmother whose mind is calcifying from
Alzheimers? Is it equal to the life of a child born with MS?

Your faith can't save you from answering these questions, and forgive me if
I am not content with waiting until I get to heaven to ask God about it.

Brother Richard
Posted by Brother Richard in Science and Reason at 14:17 | Comments (0) |
Trackbacks (0)

Rayilyn Brown
Board Member AZNPF
Arizona Chapter National Parkinson's Foundation