Les
I had bilateral DBS 4 years ago and it really controls my tremors.  My fine
motor skills are still shot, I have great difficulty speaking and walking.
I don't take any PD meds, they only helped once.  I've had PD about 11 years
now and am 71 and live alone with help 2 days a week..  I had DBS at 67
figuring better sooner than later.  Although from what I've heard DBS really
helps tremors which you don't have (it is used also for essential tremor,
dystonia and clinical depression), right now one List Member's wife is
experiencing difficulty after DBS in July, her tremors are not better
(unless things have taken a turn for the better).

The difficult thing is, I don't think you'll know unless you do it.  It is
also critical to have a great neurosurgeon and programmer.  You certainly
don't need the stress you are experiencing.  I got worse when my mom had a
stroke in 2001 and I tried to help her.  She died between my 2 DBSs, but
since then I have kind of plateaued re symptoms, except for voice.

I believe most DBSs result in positives, but there is always the chance
things could be worse.  Another List friend's mother did not do well with
DBS.  I can only wish you well and tell you it helped me.  I don't know what
kind of shape I'd be in by now without it.  This is why I'm such a rabble
rouser for research.   DBS can be almost a miracle, but brain surgery while
awake will never be routine treatment for PD.
Ray
Rayilyn Brown
Board Member AZNPF
Arizona Chapter National Parkinson's Foundation