The deadline for applications approaches.  Apologies for any cross-postings.
_______________________________
Tenured or Tenure-Track Position, Composition and Rhetoric, WAC Director
Department of English and Film Studies, Faculty of Arts

The Department of English and Film Studies at the University of
Alberta invites applications from
outstanding candidates in the field of Composition and Rhetoric,
specializing in writing-in-the-disciplines
and writing-across-the-curriculum. Ideally, depending on credentials
and level of experience, the successful
candidate will be hired with tenure at the rank of senior Associate
or Full Professor. Commencing 1 July
2008, the position will involve teaching at all levels of the
curriculum, from first-year to graduate-level
courses, but on a reduced teaching load in order to develop and
direct a new WAC program. The WAC
director would collaborate with departments and faculties across
campus interested in writing-to-learn and
writing-in-the-disciplines and would play a significant role in the
development of writing studies at the
university.

Applicants should have an excellent record of research, publication,
and teaching. Salary is commensurate
with experience and rank. Candidates should send a letter of
application, a complete curriculum vitae
(with full contact information, including phone numbers and e-mail
address), a writing sample (20-page
maximum), the names and contact information of at least three
referees, and a teaching dossier, including
evaluations of teaching performance. Candidates are responsible for
ensuring that relevant official
transcripts and letters of reference from the three named referees
are sent directly to the Department.
Applications received by 8 October 2007, will be guaranteed
consideration. All application materials
should be sent directly to:

Garrett PJ Epp, Chair
Department of English and Film Studies
3-5 Humanities Centre, University of Alberta
Edmonton AB
Canada T6G 2E5
For further information about the position, or the Department, please
contact the Chair by email at
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]

With more than 36,000 students and 12,000 staff, the University of
Alberta (www.ualberta.ca) grants
almost 7,500 degrees annually to graduates of 200 undergraduate and
170 graduate programs. A researchintensive, medical-doctoral,
multi-campus institution, the University of Alberta offers a full range of
academic and professional programs and has designated 26 areas of
established and emerging research
excellence. The Faculty of Arts (www.arts.ualberta.ca) is its largest
Faculty with 340 faculty members in 14
departments in Fine Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences in addition
to the Women's Studies Program and
the Office of Interdisciplinary Studies. The Faculty of Arts has
approximately 6000 undergraduate and 900
graduate students. The Faculty provides a variety of opportunities
for research funding, including the newly
established $1.5 million Killam Research Fund which supports
research, scholarship, and creative activities
in the humanities, social sciences, and fine arts. Within the Faculty
the Humanities has particular strengths
in humanities computing and in creative writing. The Faculty has also
recently helped establish
interdisciplinary units such as the China Institute, the Canadian
Literature Centre, the Institute for United
States Policy Studies, and the Prince Takamado Japan Centre for
Teaching and Research. The Department
of English and Film Studies itself
(www.humanities.ualberta.ca/english) is a large, vibrant, and collegial
unit with a superlative record for teaching, research, and service.

Greater Edmonton (www.edmonton.ca), with nearly one million residents
in the city and surrounding
communities, offers a beautiful, park-like setting on a spectacular
river valley. The city is the capital of
Alberta, with the lowest provincial tax regime in the country, and
has led the nation in economic growth in
the past five years. Edmonton is known as Canada's Festival City,
with more than thirty major annual
festivals celebrating its rich cultural diversity and community
spirit. It has all the attractions of a big city,
yet it is clean, safe, and livable, with excellent schools and health care.

All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply for this position;
however, Canadians and permanent
residents will be given priority. The University of Alberta hires on
the basis of merit. We are committed to
the principle of equity in employment. We welcome diversity and
encourage applications from all qualified
women and men, including persons with disabilities, members of
visible minorities, and Aboriginal persons.

M. Elizabeth (Betsy) Sargent
Director of Writing Initiatives and Professor of English
Department of English and Film Studies
University of Alberta
Edmonton, AB  T6G 2E5
CANADA
(780) 492-0457
http://www.sargent.nelson.com/
http://www.uofaweb.ualberta.ca/arts/wtf.cfm

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
Confucious (551 BC - 479 BC)