arnie,  sham surgery is not the only option.   consider amputations and
gangrene;  do we need to do sham surgery to test whether amputations
actually prevent the spread of gangrene?

if the concern is really that investigators have bias, there are much more
ethical approaches than sham surgery.   for instance, simply don't tell the
clinician evaluating patient condition which patients have received surgery
and which haven't.   if the concern is about a placebo effect on patients,
comparison to historical placebo effects in PD patients seems like a fairly
good first cut.

statistically speaking, other approaches may not be as pure, but the whole
point of medicine is to treat people, not perform elegant experiments.   if
the trials for something like DBS, just make that information available to
the patients and physicians considering the treatment with language along
the lines of  "40% of PD patients showed improvement with DBS surgery, but
there was no control group for ethical reasons.   historically, 15% of
patients with similar circumstances have shown improvement without any
treatment."