In a message dated 17/09/2007 07:01:14 GMT Standard Time,  [log in to unmask]
writes:

I  believe that there is a point that both of you are missing.  The   studies
of concern are those where an experimental drug is surgically  implanted  into
the brain to treat PD.  To meet the "gold  standard" of a double-blind,
placebo-controlled trial, some investigators  believe that a sham procedure is
necessary.  Unfortunately, sham  surgery is not without risks to the  patient.

The comparison to  amputations to prevent the spread of gangrene is
inappropriate.  In  that case, amputation is a medical procedure.  We  have
to rely  upon
the knowledge and experience of the clinical professional as  to  whether it
is necessary.  This is the practice of medicine, not   developing an
experimental drug.

It's also not as simple as not  telling the clinical evaluator whether the
patient has received surgical  treatment or not.  That would be obvious to
him
on a physical  examination, as well as to the patient.  Reliance on
"historical
controls" or a "best treatment" group as a control group  is  permitted, but
subject to challenge on the grounds that selection  is not  randomized.

I agree that the practice of medicine does not  require well-designed
experiments.  However, the development of safe  and effective drugs does
require
appropriate testing.  There are  certainly alternatives to  double-blind,
placebo-controlled trials,  but the large pharmaceutical  manufacturers may
be reluctant
to use  them.  Consider that the cost of  bringing a new drug to market  runs
into the hundreds of millions of  dollars.  Do we really  want to go back to
the
unregulated days of  pharmaceutical marketing  that were filled with
unsubstantiated claims of great  benefits?   These led to the quack remedies
that were
common in the  early 1900's,  and have now largely disappeared from our
pharmacies.

As one of the  Pipeliners who developed the survey, I want to encourage
patient  participation in clinical trials.  At the same time, I want any
clinical
trial participant to be fully aware of all the risks and  ethical  questions
associated with the trial.

To be sure, there  are options to sham surgery.  But, if sham surgery  is
truly  essential in a clinical trial, we must be aware that it's not like a
sugar
pill placebo, and the patient must demand to know of all the  risks.

Wilson DeCamp
Leesburg, VA

In a message dated  9/16/2007 2:03:18 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,