Thanks, Linda, for alerting me to the discussion on this new therapy.  I
receive a digest via my email and don't always read every post.

Here's yet another reason why PD is called the "designer" disease - it is
different in everyone AND medications or treatments react differently in
everyone.

Let me give my background:  I was diagnosed at 44, but had symptoms much
earlier.  After about 5 1/2 years, I was going downhill fast so I entered a
clinical trial (Spheramine) where retinal cells (from a donor) that produced
dopamine were implanted into my brain.  It was up and down, but after 7
years I definitely have seen benefit of the surgery.

Now it's been 12 years since diagnosed and I just started "freezing."   I
don't mean the hesitation you often get when coming to a doorway or get in
tight spots, but FREEZING, especially in the mornings.  I tried a little
more Sinemet which helped during the day, but the mornings I could barely
walk at all.

Then the doctor let me try the rotigotine patch (Neupro).  He gave me
samples of 2 - 4 and 6 mg.  I tried 2 mg for a week - nothing happened.  But
in just a week's time on the 6 mg my morning freezing is almost nil.  So it
seems to be working for me.  I hear that Requip (which I take) is coming out
with a control-released pill which will probably do the same thing.
However, the patch is very convenient.

Now a question.  Does my reaction mean that I am still making dopamine, but
my receptors just needed a boost?  I think that's what the agonists do -
stimulate your receptors so you receive more dopamine.  Thanks again for the
discussion. Since Neupro is a new product, your physicians should have
samples on hand - ask about it.  You may have my same success.
Peggy