Thanks for sharing your experience with PD.  It is an encouraging message. Kristin

[log in to unmask] wrote:  Kristen,
I was dx when I was in my early 40's.......predominate r side tremor. (I
have been on Sinemet since 1992 and that is the only med (except zoloft) that I
take for my PD....and I don't have dyskinesias etc from the Sinemet.) I
mention this to you, to give you some encouragement to try meds when you feel you
are ready, and see what works for you....don't assume that 7 years will be
the limit.

I still function independently.....drive, travel, sew......(I am 63).
Albeit I don't drive in heavy traffic/freeways if I can in anyway avoid that
situation. I do much less "fine sewing" and dainty handwork......but I still
find enjoyment in what I do. Fatigue is a major problem.......as is ability to
concentrate for long periods of time. But short strolls at almost any
activity are satisfying......you will learn to allow extra time for any planned
activity. (but you have two kids, you know how to adapt!!!)

Since you are not concerned about promotions at work (I made the assumption
you are in a private practice or small clinic).....the people at work can
probably be told. I found I was more comfortable to tell people it was PD, than
to have them wonder if I had drug or alcohol issues that I was trying to
hide. (this could be a whole different story if you were concerned about job
security issues).

If you tell anyone, you might as well tell everyone........word
spreads.......work people see church people, church people see soccer people, family
people see book group people and soon our lives are one big
tangle of interactions in the community. (seldom does only your hairdresser
"know").

Welcome to the community,
Rita Weeks