Welcome Kristin,
I'm glad you found and were able to sign onto PIEN. It's been a great help to so many people over the years. It is natural that you feel uncertainty about the future. PD affects everyone differently, but I was able to work for 10 years after my diagnosis, and many others have been able to continue working for many years too. Sometimes accomodations  will need to be made, so you can continue in your job.
As to whether or not to tell - I think you will come to know what you feel comfortable saying and to whom. People react in different ways. Some will be able to accept what you telll them and treat you as they did before. Others may have trouble dealing with your illness. I think the more honestly PWP can talk about the disease -  the better it will be for the Parkinson's communityl and it might make it just a little easier for the next newly diagnosed PWP to come out, and to be accepted.
Thanks for writing. It's good to hear that after 6 years the book still is helping its readers.
Linda

-- Kristin Woestehoff <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi,
 my name is Kristin and I am new to the list and to the PD community.  I am 49, married with two kids and own my on veterinary practice in Colorado.  I heard about PIEN when I read the book, When Parkinsons Strikes Early.  That was a great book to start my education and get me connected to a very supportive PD community.  I had some trouble signing up for PIEN at first, so I joined the yahoo PD list (plwp2) and found out what a great group of people this disease brings together!  It is nice not to have to go through this alone...

 Right now I am newly diagnosed and very mild, so I am able to function OK, I just have the usual worries about the future.  I have left sided tremors and a bit of loss of strength and coordination on that side, but not so much that it affects what I do.  I will ask a question that I asked the PLWP2 list, as I want to hear what others think.  I am struggling with how much to tell people.  It is in my nature to 'let it all hang out' so I will probably be quite open about it, but I do wonder how people will react.  Friends and family I am not too concerned about.  I am mostly concerned about what my staff at work and my clients (the pet owners) will think.  Will they think I am not capable?  I think right now I can, for instance, do surgery OK.  The tremor is in my nondominant hand, and I do not really notice it much during surgery.  I am sure that will change overtime and I will have to give up that aspect of my practice.

 I am not currently being treated for PD.  I do take propranolol which seems to diminish the trremors, probably by dimishing any anxiety I might have that aggravates the tremors.

 Looking forward to learning from you all!
 Kristin