Natasha,

I've come across quite a few studies in legal discourses when I was doing the
lit. review for my dissertation (which analyzes transcripts and the final report
from a public inquiry in Canada), but as far as I can tell, the ESP in legal
discourses and forensic linguistics are still emerging, and I am hesitant about
suggesting established methods. I ended up using citation analysis (which comes
from Swales as well as other scholars in information science and library science).

Having said that, there are some work in applied linguistics and in composition
that I found helpful:

Conley, J. M., & O'Barr, W. M. (1990). Rules versus relationships.Chicago:
University of: Chicago Press.

Cotterill, J. (2002). Language in the legal process.Hounmills, Basingstoke,
Hampshire New York: Palgrave Macmillan.

Gibbons, J. (2003). Forensic linguistics: An introduction to language in the
justice system.Malden, MA: Blackwell Pub.

Goodrich, P. (1987). Legal discourse: Studies in linguistics, rhetoric and legal
analysis.London: Macmillan.

Kurzon, D. (1986). It is hereby performed--: Explorations in legalspeech acts.
Amsterdam; Philadelphia: J. Benjamins Pub. Co.

Kurzon, D. (1997). 'Legal language': Varieties, genres, registers, discourses.
International Journal of Applied Linguistics, 7(2), 119-139.

Levi, J. N. (1993). Evaluating jury comprehension of illinois capital-sentencing
instructions. American Speech, 68(1), 20-49.
Matson, J. V. (1999). Effective expert witnessing (3rd ed.). Boca Raton: CRC Press.

O'Barr, W. M. (1982). Linguistic evidence: Language, power, and strategy in the
courtroom.New York: Academic Press.

Philips, S. U. (1998). Ideology in the language of judges. New York: Oxford
University Press.

Renoe, C. E. (1996). Seeing is believing? Expert testimony and the construction
of interpretive authority in an American trial. International Journal for the
Semiotics of Law, 9(2), 115 - 137.

Robinson, M. (2003). Language and the law: Proceedings of a conference.Buffalo,
N.Y.: W.S. Hein.

Rasmussen, R. K. (1995) Why linguitics? Washington University Law Quarterly,
73(3), 1047-56. (Retrieved from Lexis Nexis)

Schuetz, J. E. (1999). Final summation: Narratives in contrast. In J. E. Schuetz
& L. S. Lilley (Eds.), The O.J. Simpson trials: Rhetoric, media, and the law
(pp. 100-121). Carbondale: Southern Illinois University Press.

Shuy, R. (1990). Warning labels: Language, law, and comprehensibility. American
Speech, 65(4), 291-303.

Shuy, R. W. (2003). Discourse analysis in the legal context. In D. Schiffrin, D.
Tannen & H. E. Hamilton (Eds.), The handbook of discourse analysis (pp.
437-452). Malden, MA: Blackwell Publishing.

Shuy, R. W. (2006). Linguistics in the courtroom: A practical guide. New York:
Oxford University Press.

Stygall, G. (2002). Narrative discourse analysis and legal texts. In E. Barton &
G. Stygall (Eds.), Discourse studies in composition (pp. 257-282). Creskill,
N.J.: Hampton.

I came across some articles/books in Canadan legal system, but none of them was
in linguistics. I'd be happy to share these if you are interested.

Tosh Tachino, M.A., B.A. Honors
Ph.D. Candidate, Iowa State University
Rhetoric and Professional Communication
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]