Study gives Parkinson's cure hope
Researchers in Leicester believe they have made a discovery which could lead
to a cure for Parkinson's Disease.
The degenerative brain disorder currently affects one in 500 people in the
UK.
Researchers now believe they have discovered crucial details about why, and
who, the disease strikes - although a cure could still be years away.
They have identified how two defective genes interact to destroy cells in
the brain, leading to the condition.
Worldwide interest
Dr Miguel Martins said: "We think that our results provide very exciting new
findings relating to neurological disorders, in particular Parkinson's
Disease.
"We seem to have found a link between two genes that have previously been
associated with Parkinson's Disease."
He added: "The future in terms of cures for Parkinson's Disease lies
definitely with stem cell technology and therapies as well as gene
replacement technology.
The findings from the Leicester study have already attracted interest from
the scientific community around the world.
Most sufferers are diagnosed in their sixties although one in 20 are
diagnosed before the age of 40.

Rayilyn Brown
Board Member AZNPF
Arizona Chapter National Parkinson's Foundation