MA relaxes stem cell restrictions
Posted by Edyta Zielinska
[Entry posted at 9th October 2007 08:24 PM GMT]
Comment on this blog

Massachusetts is getting ready to overturn regulations that restrict the use
of stem cells for research, according to the Associated Press. The
regulations imposed by the 2005 bill created a muddy picture of which stem
cells could be used for research.

The language made collaborations with out of state researchers especially
difficult. David Scadden, co-director of the Harvard Stem Cell Institute,
told the AP that the regulations essentially required researchers to trace
the origin of any stem cell they used to make sure the cells weren't donated
solely for research. Without that information, researchers were at risk of
breaking the law.

One of the proposed changes is to delete the line, "No person shall
knowingly create embryos or preimplantation embryos by the method of
fertilization with the sole intent of using the embryo for research, " from
the regulations.

When I reported on the Massachusetts Life Sciences initiative in July in a
news story and follow-up blog, the Department of Health in Massachusetts was
already planning to hold hearings on changing the language of the
regulations. No word yet on when the regulation will change, but we'll let
you know when we find out.

Rayilyn Brown
Board Member AZNPF
Arizona Chapter National Parkinson's Foundation