October 8, 2007

Reviving science in the U.S.
Candidates need to start discussing the integrity of science in this
country.

In a speech last week, Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton
made a commitment to improved science policies, if elected. Denouncing
President George W. Bush's attack on scientific integrity, Clinton
emphasized the need for America to embrace science in order to stay
competitive globally. Clinton's speech marks the first time the issue of
science policy has made headlines during the 2008 presidential race, but in
the wake of the Bush administration, it is an issue that must be addressed
by every candidate.
In the past six years, science has been pushed aside by the Bush
administration in favor of politics and religious values. Most notably, the
continued denial of support for stem cell research and accusations of
suppressing information about global warming have defined this president's
science policies. Even more disturbing are the accusations that the
administration censored and edited scientific reports.
Just last summer, former Surgeon General Richard Carmona testified on
Capitol Hill about the political pressure he faced in his position. He
claimed the Bush administration blocked him from issuing reports about
specific subjects such as stem cells, contraception, and sex education. He
also claimed a report condemning secondhand smoke was delayed and edited
before being released. This behavior is despicable considering the surgeon
general is supposed to work for the benefit of U.S. health.
Clinton's emphasis on science will hopefully inspire discussion among the
candidates; this should be an important issue for Americans to consider. Our
country has traditionally been a leader in science and technology, but we
have seen that edge erode with questionable policies as of late. Our science
education is lagging, and our country is still debating the teaching of
religious theology (in the form of intelligent design) in science
classrooms. We need renewed interest and investments in rapidly growing
fields such as stem cell research and alternative energy. We must make
presidential candidates address this issue, and make sure that we don't
endure another term of politically driven and credibility-diminishing
scientific policies.

Rayilyn Brown
Board Member AZNPF
Arizona Chapter National Parkinson's Foundation