Graham, I'm not sure if Deborah Tannen's book, The Argument Culture
would be useful or not.  But if you type her name+argument into
Google, you get some interesting things.
Best, Betsy

At 12:30 PM 11/26/2007, you wrote:
>I'll point, though I'm sure you'll already be aware of it, to
>all of George Lakoff's work on framing.
>
>-- Russ
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I'm researching the social construction of argumentation in the current
> > debates over global warming and climate change.  I'm wondering whether
> > anyone could point me towards work in Writing Studies or elsewhere that's
> > looked at how arguments are socially constructed and deployed by
> collectives
> > (i.e., organizations, institutions, 'discourse coalitions') as opposed to
> > individuals?
> >
> > (I'm going to post this query to the CATTW listserv as well, so
> I'm sorry if
> > you get this message twice.)
> >
> > Thanks very much,
> > Graham
> >
> > Acting Supervisor of Graduate Studies
> > School of Linguistics and Applied Language Studies
> >
> > ---------------------------------
> > Graham Smart
> > Associate Professor
> > Carleton University
> > School of Linguistics & Applied Language Studies
> > 215 Paterson Hall
> > 1125 Colonel By Drive
> > Ottawa, Ontario
> > Canada  K1S 5B6
> > (613) 520-2600 (Ext. 2000)
> >     its newsletter, and the annual conference, go to
> >               http://www.stu.ca/inkshed/
> >                  -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
>
>St. Thomas University
>http://www.stu.ca/~hunt/

>     its newsletter, and the annual conference, go to
>               http://www.stu.ca/inkshed/
>                  -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

M. Elizabeth (Betsy) Sargent
Director of Writing Initiatives and Professor of English
Department of English and Film Studies
University of Alberta
Edmonton, AB  T6G 2E5
CANADA