angela hamon wrote:
> I have noticed a paradox. . .There are people who claim they can cure Parkinsons with vitamins, or healing touch, or prayer, or even claim there is no progressive disease called P.D. I have seen people asked to leave church for good because prayer did not work. GNC store salesmen have stolen money from confused patients who were just out trying to exercise, stealing by coercing them to buy unwanted or unsafe products, while promising to cure them.
>
> Then there are Drs with terribly harsh treatments, DBS gone wrong, where the person cannot swallow, or speak, or has no tremors because of too much dopamine inhibition, so no involuntary movements and no voluntary ones either! Treatments for the dementia such as anti-schizphrenia drugs known to induce dyskinesia, which can result in full blown parkinsonism in persons who don't already have it--and nightmarish symptom escalation for those who do. I have seen Reglan induced convulsions to treat wasting, in people who needed swallowing therapy, IV feedings, and patient people ready to feed them.
>

> I am all for a cure, and it would be a miracle, but when will the medical community see Parkinsons for what it is--a chronic disease requiring management, treatment plans, vocational rehabilitation, and lifestyle changes along WITH cutting edge medications?  There are a few who do take this wholistic approach, but unfortunately not enough.  There are careful dosage adjustments, symptom diaries, and patient education sessions, but nowhere NEAR enough.
>
>  When will the focus be on the underlying dopamine loss and the painful tremors and symptoms you cannot see, wasting and weight loss, memory and learning impairment, instead we socially and medically seem to focus on an unsightly tremor, or look shocked when someone falls frequently, because it inconveniences us.
>
> As a caregiver I have seen people who are obviously stage 2 or 3 saying their Dr is not really sure they have Parkinson's disease. Their spouse is sure, their employer is sure, clergy is sure, and they do not hesitate to tell the sufferer.  Harsh treatments, spinal taps, some (not all) surgeries, and giving up on patients is not the way to manage this situation. I just wish there was a better way to go about getting a differential diagnosis, prompt treatment, and less ping-ponging of patients who are trying to work, raise their families, or in some cases, just see their 21st birthday.  No one wants to go to the doctor every day, no one wants to be tens of thousands in debt. Most disabled people want what healthy people want, and are willing to work many times harder to get it.
>
> Thanks for listening.
> angela in NC
> I am a Mother and caregiver to brain injury patient. who has a name.
> Her name is Margey.  Margey. a person with feelings. unlike her doctor.

Angela:  I understand why you may feel the way you do.  But let me try
and defend  what
appears to you as a cold and indifferent doctor.  Doctors are first and
foremost
scientists.  They are fascicle with numbers, biochemistry, anatomy  and
comfortable with
staying current in their sub specialty by reading stacks of journals and
books.   Doctors are always subject to a lawsuit for something they did
not know.   Their ability to  correctly   interpret  observations and
then act  with impunity to help the patient does not require the doctor
to project warm fuzzy feelings to the patient.  What you want in a
doctor is one that consistently makes the best medically  based
decisions.  What you give Margey  is not available from this doctor.
How  much trust should Margey invest in her doctor ?  Looking at the
number of years  they have spent exclusively studying movement disorders
is a good  measure of their commitment  to doing whats best for the patient.

ned