Jean and List Members:

I had an encounter with Dr. Joe Rogers last year.  I was referred to him by
Bob Stump, my state rep.

Although his research sounded to me like what Dr. Levesque of Cedars Sinai
did with Dennis Turner's brain cells over 8 years ago, he was unfamiliar
with it when I asked  him about it.  Strange, it was a big deal.

To remind you-all Levesque took Turner's brain cells during a DBS surgery,
"cultivated" them and put them back in Turner's brain and he was supposedly
symptom free until about 2004 when his PD returned with a vengeance.  I
called him on 3-24-06 and he confirmed this, but since refuses to shed more
light on this subject.  Last I heard he was still being touted as a "cure"
by the Family Research Council which opposes embryonic stem cell research.

Jean, this is all documented in Yvonne Perry's book Right to Recover that I
gave you at our luncheon meeting several months ago.

Initially, Rogers seemed congenial and fair-minded but got mad at me when I
asked Turner by email to clarify his condition.  Rogers later apologized to
me but I never did visit his lab, feeling very unwelcome.  Rogers and the
Arizona state legislature oppose ESCR.

I concluded that if Turner's temporary improvement was due to the stem cell
implantation and not DBS, his PD came back because the same disease  process
that killed his dopamine producing cells in the first place was still
active.  It led me to believe that if this is true, any kind of  stem cell
replacement therapy or treatment is only going to be temporary unless the
cause of PD is addressed.

I am also surprised to hear about the MJFox grant that you can't find.
Please keep us informed about this. This sounds "suspicious" to me.  Dr.
Levesque's Phase II never did go into effect (as far as I know) even though
the FRC made false claims about it.  Talk about "mad" scientists!!!  I don't
think I want to be involved in Roger's trials.  I felt he was fishing for
subjects when we had our exchange.  Bob Stump may have gotten his bill
passed that provides $ for adult stem cell research.  This seems to me to be
a more likely grant source than MJFox.

Ray

Rayilyn Brown
Board Member AZNPF
Arizona Chapter National Parkinson's Foundation