Joan Snyder, no list of heroes would be complete without your name.  I often
read here to keep up with you and great people like Joe & Nina, but seldom
post.  I am glad to see you still active in PD advocacy.  (and thanks to Ray
who keeps us current through her posts).

I have probably never told you this, but you were my inspiration to get
involved in advocacy in the Parkinson community.  I met you through dearest
Brenda Tucker when PLWP was just starting up.  I will bet you do not even
remember our first meeting.  I had been diagnosed about 4 years and had just
gone on disability.  Life did not seem to hold much of a future for me back
then.  But my how things have changed since that day!

I journaled online for nearly 5 years.  I would like to share my entry on
the day we met; we were at Bren's house in Tennessee, and you were on your
way to Morganton, NC to help build a Habitant for Humanity house.  Here is
my journal entry below:  God bless you!

Journal entry for Peggy June, 2000
"I don't believe in predestination. That is, I don't believe that every
little event of life is predetermined by the Great Creator. But even He said
that we are "predestined according to the plan of him who works out
everything in conformity with the purpose of His will" (Ephesians 1:11). I
do believe that there is a "plan" for each person . . . how one travels from
point A to point B is up to individual.

I crossed one of my pathways today. According to the free choice delegated a
person, I could have chosen not to go down this pathway. But a believer or
not, it cannot be denied that the events of the past few days are far too
coincidental to not have been part of my "predetermined" plan. Our plan is
revealed by the many opportunities afforded us in life. I call them those
"open windows." If I go through one of those open windows and it's part of
my predetermined plan, things really start clicking. Today, it became
evident that I was headed down the right road.

I had talked with Bren on several occasions through my journaling efforts
with PLWP. Joan was also a journalist here, and I was keeping up with her
story online. The e-mail from Bren arrived. Bren and I discovered that we
were living only a 2-hour drive apart from each other. Joan and family were
going to be passing through, and Bren invited me to join her in the meeting
of these fellow PLWP's. That's when things started clicking.

Everything fell into place, and the three of us met at Bren's. I arrived
several hours before Joan, which gave Bren and me the chance to get to know
each other. We sat in the sunshine of her beautiful back yard enjoying the
picturesque view and chatting away as if we were high school buddies. We
laughed, and we cried. The highlight of the day, however, came when Bren
connected with her PLWP friend. Bren "talked" her right to her driveway via
Joan's cell phone.

"She's here!" yelled Bren as I washed up from cutting onions and tomatoes
for our cookout. My heart thumped into my throat. I sprinted (as well as one
can sprint with a cane!) to the front porch to see hugs and handshakes being
exchanged.

Then I heard Joan's sweet voice ask, "Where's Peg?" Our eyes connected and
we meshed into our outstretched welcomes. I think we must have stood in that
driveway hugging for at least 30 seconds - a long time for total strangers.
But people with Parkinson's can never be "total strangers." You could feel
the energy in that hug flowing into a common bond that would last a
lifetime.

We ate grilled hamburgers, talked about our journey with Parkinson's, and
dreamed about our futures. At one point we were all sitting on the sofa in
Bren's living room looking at Joan's scrapbook and all that she has
accomplished with PD awareness.

I stepped back and became a spectator, watching three women who should be
out playing tennis, taking long hiking trips, or be running endlessly in
wide-open fields catching butterflies. Instead, they sit together on this
sofa, in this way-to-early point in their lives trying to determine when
their next dose of medicine is due and how they will feel tomorrow because
they're overdoing it today.

Their paths have crossed for a reason - to do everything possible to promote
PD awareness - before their children or their children's children suffer the
same fate. Did I say "fate?" I don't believe in predestination, but I do
believe in friendships made in heaven . . . and I do believe in
predetermined windows of opportunity being offered. I'm so glad that Bren,
Peggy, and Joan stepped through this window. And someone, somewhere in time
will be glad for it, too."      Peggy