New laws to create cloned babies from three parents
9:00AM Monday November 19, 2007

Controversial legislation may soon be passed in Britain, allowing couples to
have babies created from three people's DNA. Photo / Reuters
LONDON - British couples could soon be able to have babies created using DNA
from two women and a man as part of a revolutionary human cloning technique.
Controversial legislation due to be debated by politicians this week sets
out ways to allow test-tube babies to be created from the biological
material from three parents.
The laws would allow an embryo to be created from the nucleus of one woman's
egg, her partner's sperm and another woman's mitochondria, the material
surrounding an egg's nucleus and which promotes cell growth.
The Independent on Sunday said if the controversial legislation was
approved, babies created using the cloning technique could be born within
the next decade.
Many politicians and church leaders were expected to oppose the new laws,
arguing they effectively pave the way for the first human clones and remove
the need for a father in the upbringing of a child.
But scientists claim the new procedure was designed to help find a cure for
mitochondrial disease, which can lead to epilepsy, diabetes and fatal damage
to various organs.
Researchers at the North of England Stem Cell Research Centre in Newcastle
said trials to create babies using the new technique could begin within five
years.
"The current work involves transplanting the healthy nucleus from a
fertilised egg with damaged mitochondria into a donor egg with healthy
mitochondria," the head of reproductive medicine at Newcastle University,
Professor Alison Murdoch, told the newspaper.
"We continue to investigate whether transplanting the nucleus from an
unfertilised unhealthy egg into an egg before fertilisation would be as
effective," Professor Murdoch said.
"We are not yet at the stage of clinical trials but we would anticipate that
in the lifetime of this bill we would be.
"It's a cure for mitochondrial diseases we are working on."
But those opposed to the new laws said they contradict laws introduced in
2001 to ban human cloning.
Church leaders were concerned the laws could lead to a breakdown in family
life because they remove the need for fathers to have any involvement in the
upbringing of a child conceived by lesbian couples using IVF.
"The bill proposes to remove the need for IVF providers to take into account
the child's need for a father when considering an IVF application," the
cardinal archbishop of Westminster, cardinal Cormac Murphy-O'Connor told the
Mail on Sunday.
"This is profoundly wrong as it radically undermines the place of the father
in a child's life and makes the natural rights of the child subordinate to
the couple's desires."

Rayilyn Brown
Board Member AZNPF
Arizona Chapter National Parkinson's Foundation