 I am sure that many others have a better answer, but your message
really disturbed me.

My wife has only been diagnosed for 8 months; I am an engineer who has
had some health problems, was a HiCap counselor to the elderly, and
often comes up with (useless?) suggestions. But, here goes

1. Are you alone/ we work together tracking symptoms and drug reactions.
That helps with all medical problems. This was stressed in our
counseling training. Of course you are apprehensive.

2. A support group is exremely helpful. yes, it is a bit scary to see
the condition some are in, but then you find out it has been 20 or 30
years, and people can still function and SMILE! everyone is helpful,
sympathetic.

Our group has great literature to check out or read there. We have two
separate sessions before the main meeting (monthly) one for caregivers
and one for voice training (many have difficulty speaking loudly and
clearly -what a difference the class makes). There is usually an
interesting speaker - one researcher from UCSB had statistical data
showing that love improved sysmptoms....how about that? We have a
separate chat group mid month, which is smaller and interactive.

You need a doctor who LISTENS and REACTS supportively....he/she should
check you out thoroughly but also communicate! He/she should be up on
the latest treatments, which vary greatly.

For instance: our Dr said "the approach I am taking with you is what
UCLA would call right on target---but the med school i studied in would
have a different approach - there is no single BEST approach that
everyone agrees to. We will work together do what is best for your case."

When you start a new medicine he/she should call you and check on its
effect and follow up. when you call our Dr he almost always calls back
after supper.

This is a very strange disease (unlike my artery problems) and manifests
itself in many different ways. The latest Mayo Clinic newsletter covered
PD; it was quite negative in tone and really bothered my wife, because
it was a laundry list of what CAN happen. Believe it or not, it never
even mentioned stem cells.
BUT dopamine is the problem; there is a problem with communication
between your brain and the nerves that direct your muscles (and
sometimes other things too).and to not try some of the new medicines is,
to me, unwise. (unless you are alone and have no support system and
caring doctor).(I almost said "stupid"  because I really was shocked by
your remark. and also because i am dealing with an ill sister, 3000
miles away,  who also refuses to take her medicines as directed) --
Chalk it up to my being a know-it-all  engineer - engineers always
believe they can fix anything) t'aint true.
.
My wife tried Neupro and Requip over time, and both made her nauseous. I
forget whether or not she has tried Mirapex. She is now on Azilect only.
L-Dopa is the gold standard but over time side effects often develop, so
the other meds were developed to help. PLEASE - someone who knows more
please correct any misstatements that I have made. and give me hell if
you feel i deserve it.