Too Soon to Give Up on Embryonic Stem Cells
By Brandon Keim November 20, 2007 | 1:44:17 PMCategories: Bioethics,
Biotechnology, Stem Cell Research
 The war is over! Cue the confetti! Lay down your legislation and angry blog
comments and join hands outside the clinic where we'll all get stem cells!
No embryos necessary!
The landmark transformation of skin cells to stem cells is being hailed as a
peacemaker in the bitter battle over embryonic stem cell research, which
currently requires embryos to be destroyed. But the celebration is
premature -- and if it drains attention and funding from embryonic stem
cells, it will be misguided.
As pointed out by both Ian Wilmut, the Dolly pioneer who recently quit
cloning in favor of so-called somatic de-differentiation, and Robert Lanza,
the Advanced Cell Technologies guru who called the new technique "the holy
grail," ESC science is still very important. It's unknown whether
de-differentiated cells will be as versatile as ESCs. Scientific
obstacles -- most importantly, de-differentiating without causing dangerous
mutations -- remain.
"Make no mistake, this work represents a tremendous scientific milestone,"
Lanza told me. "But I'm afraid it's the beginning of a tidal wave that could
wipe out other lines of stem cell research."
Lanza noted that gene expression in the new stem cells wasn't equivalent to
that in embryonic cells. Even ESCs, he said, "all have personalities. Some
can do certain tricks better than others. There's no reason to believe it's
going to be any different with these."
It's quite possible, then, that the new cells will end up being useful in
many ways, but embryonic stem cells -- not to mention various types of adult
stem cells -- will still be required to treat certain conditions. If
research funding suddenly dries up for everything except de-differentiation,
those cures will never arise.
Moreover, de-differentiation is still early-stage. Between now and
fully-realized therapies could exist a period of time in which ESC-based
treatments would be useful, even life-saving. ESCs would provide a necessary
bridge, one that shouldn't be burned.
In that vein, Lanza mentioned that many ESC-based treatments currently in
animal and early-stage human development don't require personalized cell
lines, but rather a few hundred -- easily attainable with current
techniques, and enough to cover much of the spectrum of human tissue
compatibility. (As a rough analogy, think of blood types: personalized cell
lines are effectively type O, but a large percentage of the population is
covered by type A. The treatments Lanza's talking about are, in a sense, the
stem cell equivalent of type A transfusions.)
"You're talking about a lot of people who right now could be using some of
these cells, and this field is moving ahead very rapidly," said Lanza.*
"Almost on a weekly basis is a new breakthrough. We're seeing how dramatic
an impact some of these have in animals. It'd be a shame to have people
continuing to have a range of horrific diseases. If for some reason
de-differentiation is perfected first, then great -- but we can't take that
chance. I'm very worried that opponents will run with this."
And, as if on cue, the opponents are running with it: the Discovery
Institute declared this morning that "We should now move to outlaw all human
cloning," which "will divert billions of dollars and many years of our best
researchers' efforts way from areas of advancement that have the chance to
do tremendous good without the terrible moral cost of permitting human
cloning."
Given the seemingly intractable differences between embryonic stem cell
supporters and opponents, the potential of de-differentiation is seductive.
Many people will want to quit the embryonic work -- why bother when
something else could work better? But it's too soon to say. At this moment,
de-differentiation deserves attention, funding and acclaim. But none of that
should be diverted from other research.
Note: A more reasonable approach to the new research comes from the Center
for Genetics and Society, who have traditionally criticized embryonic stem
cell research for being scientifically overhyped and relying on dangerous
hormone treatments to secure eggs. They're hopeful that de-differentiation
will make ESCs obsolete and focus public attention on making stem cell
therapies safe and accessible, but careful to caveat their statements: "If
these results are as promising as they appear to be...."
* One might object that Lanza's sentiments are conflicted by his vested
interests in embryonic cloning. But as we noted above, Ian Wilmut -- who's
now quit cloning -- feels the same way. So does Junying Yu, one of the
scientists responsible for the breakthrough. As she told me, "We don't know
the significance of the differences [between gene expression in
de-differentiated and embryonic stem cells]. That's all the more reason to
keep the ESC research going."
Stem Cell Breakthrough Is Like 'Turning Lead Into Gold' [Wired News]

Rayilyn Brown
Board Member AZNPF
Arizona Chapter National Parkinson's Foundation