Keep options open on stem cells
Originally posted on November 23, 2007

There's good news from the stem-cell research front, but it's already being
politicized - as expected.

Too bad. The lesson from the latest breakthrough is not that one side wins
and the other loses in the religious quarrel over embryonic stem cells.

It's that we should keep all our options open. That's good science.

Scientists reported this week that they have been able to make ordinary
human skin cells act like stem cells, the ability of which to develop into a
wide variety of tissues has given rise to so much hope for the treatment of
degenerative diseases.

The use of skin or other tissues to develop stem cells could avoid the
thicket of ethical and political problems in the harvesting of stem cells
from human embryos.

More importantly, it may simply increase the scientific options.

President Bush and pro-life religious conservatives have tried to discourage
embryonic stem research in favor of adult cells, believing that killing
embryos for such purposes is immoral. They are now claiming that their
pressure has borne fruit.

Perhaps. But the skin cell breakthrough is based on embryonic research. One
of the authors of the skin cell studies is James A. Thompson of the
University of Wisconsin, a pioneer embryonic stem cell researcher.

Stem cells from whatever source still offer great hope for generating
replacement tissues to deal with a wide range of diseases, including
Parkinson's and diabetes. We should pursue this research on all fronts.

Non-embryonic cells may prove the better source of stem cells, but let them
happen as the result of free science, not as the result of religious and
political meddling.

It would be an ironic shame if we let the those opposed to using embryonic
stem cells on religious grounds employ a scientific breakthrough to impede
science.

 Rayilyn Brown
Board Member AZNPF
Arizona Chapter National Parkinson's Foundation