From: "Rhonda Schuller" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 4:05 PM
Subject: Re: thanks! - query re social construction of argumentation

Rick Coe taught a recent rhetoric course on The Ecology of Rhetoric and the
Rhetoric of Ecology. One of the texts for that course, Landmark Essays on
Rhetoric and the Environment, ed Craig Waddell (Hermagoras 1998), featured
articles by Jimmie Killingsworth. Several of the essays traced the evolution
of metaphors and key terms used in framing conversations about the
environment.
Rhonda (Schuller)
English and Linguistics
University College of the Fraser Valley

>>> Margaret Procter <[log in to unmask]> 11/27/2007 8:11 PM >>>
Dear Graham,

I join you in thanking people for their suggestions. You probably
already know Jimmie Killingsworth. I've heard him speak very powerfully
about the rhetoric of environmentalism. He has two books that might be
of interest for your focus on rhetoric about environmental issues.

In 1992, he and and Jacqueline Palmer published Ecospeak: Rhetoric and
Environmental Politics (Southern Illinois).

In 2005, again with Southern Illinois, he published what he calls a
textbook for a course in rhetorical theory -- Appeals in Modern
Rhetoric: An Ordinary-Language Approach. I've found the book in the
library here today and have only glanced at it so far, but I note that
the index has several entries under "environmental rhetoric," with a
further cross-reference to some pages on Aldo Leopold.

Margaret

--
Margaret Procter, Ph.D.
University of Toronto Coordinator, Writing Support

http://www.utoronto.ca/writing