I just finished listening to these podcasts and have to say that the
third one, "The Mystery Behind the Mystery Play," would make a
marvelous complement to the teaching of Secunda Pastorum. Despite the
description of the podcast on the Folger web site, this recording
actually features Barbara Palmer and Theresa Coletti discussing the
play and the Towneley ms. in great detail. Anyone who hasn't kept up
on the recent Towneley Plays vs. Wakefield Cycle debate will get an
excellent brief synopsis of the issues and the findings that have,
many would say, overturned the Wakefield Cycle paradigm.

If you plan to teach the play to undergraduates (and maybe even to
graduate students), I highly recommend that you have your students
listen to this podcast so that they have a sense of the history of
the text and the compilation of which it forms a part. While most of
us probably cover this sort of thing in lecture, having the
discussion available for playing on an iPod will make it easy for
students to listen to this material on their own, thus opening up
more class time for discussion. Thanks for participating in the
Folger podcasts, Barbara and Theresa! I only wish I lived closer to
DC so I could now see the performance.

Gloria

--
Gloria J. Betcher, Ph.D.