If you are going to be able to see The Second Shepherds' Play at the
Folger Library, don't read this!  Some of this is anticipated in Joel
Cohen's blog, which Ken Tompkins sent the list, but I'm glad I didn't
read the blog before seeing the play.  If you're not lucky enough to
live within driving distance of D.C., however, I thought you'd be
interested in some more details of the production than you will see in a
review.

Alan B.

=================

The play was a delight.  The acting could have been better, except for a
wonderfully tough, fishwifey but not quite shrewish Gill, but the
singing, the playing, and the production values could hardly have been
improved.  There was LOTS of medieval and early Renaissance music to
supplement the couple of instances of singing in the play text, and they
skillfully included the musicians into the play as characters (and
sometimes props-one became the twisted thorn bush where the shepherds
meet after they discover Mak's theft of the sheep).  I don't think I've
heard so many different early instruments played in a single night
(several lutes and citterns, recorders of all sizes, uileann pipes, a
zither, a hurdy-gurdy, an Irish harp, fiddle, viola da gamba, bells, and
a sackbut).  The music was well chosen.  The shepherds appropriately
sang "Sumer is icumen in" to warm themselves with wishful thinking.  The
play ended with a New Year's song set to the tune of "Greensleeves" and
a rousing Gloucestershire wassail that I'd never heard before.  In
between, there was a beautiful rendition of "Lullay lullow" for the
Christ child, which also made a nice additional echo of the fake
Nativity at Mak and Gill's cottage (where Gill tells Mak to sing it to
warn her when the shepherds show up) to supplement all the parallels
already built into the script.

But for me, the most interesting aspects of the production were in the
staging itself.  The director has a very keen sense of the theatrical
and used the words of the text as visual cues in creative ways.  They
had a neat "wind machine," a wide-slatted barrel on a spit covered over
with some kind of cloth, so that when they turned the crank, it hissed
and whistled.  The wind was represented visually by actors waving long
purple ribbons on a pole, one for the first shepherd's speech about the
cold, two for the second shepherd, and three for the third.  When Coll
complained about wealthy lords, an actor clad in rich clothes and a
golden mask came onstage and posed haughtily in a tableau.  When Gib
complained about being henpecked, the speech was punctuated with a mime
in which his wife came on and chased him all around the theater as he
hid in various nooks and crannies (or comically in plain sight with his
hands over his face).  When Daw dreamt of Mak in wolf's clothing
stealing their sheep, they acted it out with a very impressive wolf
costume.

The director cleverly solved two major staging problems by the use of
puppets, as Peter Marks mentioned in his Post review.  Since the stage
wasn't big enough to have multiple acting stations for the shepherds and
Mak's cottage, they indicated the characters' travels between the two
settings by having a couple of cast members come onstage with a long
jointed bamboo pole that they shaped into a mountain range while another
cast member used puppets dressed like the actors playing Mak and the
shepherds to show them climbing over the range with lots of comic
business.  The first time, the Mak puppet was carrying a smaller version
of the puppet they used for the stolen sheep, which was very cute.
Then, when the shepherds decide to punish Mak but tossing him in a
blanket, they tossed the Mak-puppet.  Oddly enough, during intermission
I remarked to Louise and Bruce that the actor playing Mak was a really
large guy and I wondered how they would handle his punishment at the
end.  In the Tony Harrison version, they dispense with the blanket
tossing altogether and throw wet sponges at Mak.  I was glad to see this
production stuck with the text and figured out a way around the problem.
I should have seen the use of the puppet coming a mile away, but somehow
I didn't, so it came as a nice and very funny surprise.

The sheep puppet was well done, too.  They went for some cheap laughs
with its puppeteer baaing at significant points (I laughed,
too-sometimes cheap is good-and I wondered if this was inspired by the
RSC's use of chicken puppets to tell "The Nun's Priest's Tale" last
year), but also the shepherds carried the sheep with them to Bethlehem,
so that one lamb could meet the other, tightening the parallel, as well
as echoing the story of the animals in the stable when the sheep puppet
bowed before the baby doll.

The appearance of the angel was remarkable.  Instead of just having her
stand on the balcony above the actors, they gave her a long dress that
extended all the way down to the stage, a drapery in dark blue below and
light, silvery blue above, and she was standing in front of a backdrop
with sun, sky and golden wings painted on it, so that she really did
look like she was floating in the air above the shepherds.

All in all, an intelligent and very entertaining production.