Prominent Stem Cell Researcher Praised By Bush Rips White House's Stem Cell
Policies
Last month, University of Wisconsin professor James Thomson - the first
scientist to successfully isolate embryonic stem cells - and his colleagues
published a paper in Science Magazine stating that human skin cells could be
"reprogrammed" into embryonic stem cells.
President Bush has refused to directly fund embryonic stem cell research,
twice vetoing such legislation. The White House was therefore quick to
herald Thomson's work, claiming it vindicated Bush's position:
President Bush is very pleased to see the important advances in ethical stem
cell research reported in scientific journals today. By avoiding techniques
that destroy life, while vigorously supporting alternative approaches,
President Bush is encouraging scientific advancement within ethical
boundaries.
Right-wing columnist Charles Krauthammer declared, "The verdict is clear:
Rarely has a president - so vilified for a moral stance - been so thoroughly
vindicated." "An official of one group fiercely opposed to destroying
embryos said the "scientists should thank 'pro-life voices' for pushing them
to find alternatives."
But Thomson and American Association for the Advancement of Science
President Alan Leshner could care less about the administration's approval.
In a Washington Post op-ed today, the duo slams the right-wing response to
their work, stating that the Bush administration's restrictive stem cell
policies are "counter to both scientific and public opinion" and are
inhibiting potential treatments:
At a time when nearly 60 percent of Americans support human embryonic stem
cell research, U.S. stem cell policy runs counter to both scientific and
public opinion. President Bush's repeated veto of the Stem Cell Research
Enhancement Act, which has twice passed the House and Senate with votes from
Republicans and Democrats alike, further ignores the will of the American
people. [.]
[U]nder the policy President Bush outlined on Aug. 9, 2001, at most 21 stem
cell lines derived from embryos before that date are eligible for federal
funding. American innovation in the field thus faces inherent limitations.
Even more significant, the stigma resulting from the policy surely has
discouraged some talented young Americans from pursuing stem cell research.
As Science Progress noted, the skin cell research could not have been
accomplished without the knowledge from prior embryonic stem cell research.
Furthermore, Thomson and Leshner emphasized that it "remains to be seen
whether reprogrammed skin cells will differ in significant ways from
embryonic stem cells.it's too early to say we're certain."
In June, then-White House spokesperson Tony Snow said Bush's veto of stem
cell research was evidence of him "putting science before ideology." In
reality, the scientific community - including Bush's own science advisers -
thinks the opposite.
Filed under: Stem Cells, Science
Posted by Satyam at 9:00 pm
Bushies need the fundie vote. So they go with ignorance.
Comment by ForTruth - December 3, 2007 @ 9:09 pm

I cover this in a more tongue-into-cheek manner over at my blog.
Cheers,
Comment by zuch - December 3, 2007 @ 9:19 pm

the first cure we must find is the one for conservatism.
Comment by joe cantwell - December 3, 2007 @ 9:22 pm

I beg to differ, joe cantwell.
The first cure we must find is the one for fear.
Comment by Zooey - December 3, 2007 @ 9:26 pm

The first cure we must find is the one for fear.
Comment by Zooey - December 3, 2007 @ 9:26 pm
i don't grok the difference.
Comment by Lefty Patriot - December 3, 2007 @ 9:28 pm

i don't grok the difference.
Comment by Lefty Patriot - December 3, 2007 @ 9:28 pm
Most conservatives live in fear, but not all who live in fear are
conservatives.
Comment by Zooey - December 3, 2007 @ 9:32 pm

Conservatives only care about 'children' before they're born. After? They
don't give two shits if it's not theirs.
Comment by Namtillaku - December 3, 2007 @ 9:34 pm

Most conservatives live in fear, but not all who live in fear are
conservatives.
Comment by Zooey - December 3, 2007 @ 9:32 pm
you sound like that guy from "mystery men".
(remember? ben stiller comedy?)
Comment by joe cantwell - December 3, 2007 @ 9:35 pm
you sound like that guy from "mystery men".
(remember? ben stiller comedy?)
Comment by joe cantwell - December 3, 2007 @ 9:35 pm
Sorry, I gave up tv long ago. I hope that's a compliment. :-)
Comment by Zooey - December 3, 2007 @ 9:37 pm
Jeez, what an ingrate! Doesn't this uneducated scientist realize that he
never would have made his discovery if the all wise and knowing pResident
Bush hadn't impeded his research? He probably believes in evolution and
global warming as well. Where do these scientists get the idea that they
know more than politicians?
Comment by Snowball - December 3, 2007 @ 9:46 pm
It's only a matter of time before he starts receiving death threats from
reich-wingers.
Comment by Dr. Matt - December 3, 2007 @ 9:50 pm
The "skin based stem cell" is still a LONG ways off as a viable treatment.
Had embryonic stem cell research had been supported, we would be YEARS into
testing and research for cures for some of the most debilitating diseases.
Instead, we are all going to have to wait years. maybe decades. longer
before this new treatment proves fruitful. IF it works at all.
How many will die in the meantine Pro-LIFE'ers?
Comment by Mugsy - December 3, 2007 @ 10:30 pm

Rayilyn Brown
Board Member AZNPF
Arizona Chapter National Parkinson's Foundation