Dear Art,

Your note was the first I'd heard of Barb's death. Probably there are
others like me who read PIENO still even  though we don't write
much, and who appreciate what a good friend you were to her.   Barb
was "out there" witty, silly, wise, and kind.  She expressed herself
colorfully and without inhibition.

PIENO opened up the world for all of us in the young-onset crowd in
the early '90's.   Barb poured out her thoughts and feelings, showing
how the List could mean more than just exchanging medical
information.  We watched her blossom into a source of support for so
many people on her bulletin board, PIENO, her "Parkies on the Town"
where we'd meet at a restaurant  every month for fun. She worked up
enthusiasm in her own support group for going dancing, even having a
bowling party.

Every year one or two of us early PIENO members "pass on",  most of
us from ailments only peripherally related to PD if it's true  that
PD appears to slow everything down --  Alan Bonander asthma, Joe
Bruman gastro-intestinal, Stacey Collichio cancer, Mario Gonzales
heart.  Then Ginny Morgan, Lisa Greenstadt, Marty Polonsky, Marge
Herman, strong people who apparently became exhausted so didn't
recover when minor hurdles came up.  I feel the hardest thing about
aging is saying goodbye to the people  who were able to share all the
stories and experiences of the past.   it's also the best thing about
aging.   Having  rich memories of  those stories and experiences is
real wealth.

Quoted by Linda Herman and Barbara Blake-Krebs in "When Parkinson's
Strikes Early,"  Barbara said it best:
"I see myself evolving, but at the same time, PD is forcing me to
narrow my world.  i tend to take life's side streets now instead of
heading for life's freeways.   Once upon a time I'd have been bored
to tears traveling through life in the 'slow lane,' but now I find
there are tons of interesting things as well as interesting people
lining those little offbeat roads.  I've come to know and enjoy them
as they add to my life in many ways."

Mary
coordinator of PDLA (not to be confused with LAPD) --- a bulletin of
events related to PD in the Los Angeles area
diagnosed 1990