I did not mean to upset anyone on the list. No one would WANT their daughter to have Parkinson's. I will try to explain myself a little better, it is all i seem to do lately.

In answer to your question, yes, she responded to Ldopa and mirapex favorably. without them she is nearly paralyzed due to  lead pipe effect. her shoulders are drawn up and if you press them down, they pop right back up. it would be comical if it did not look so painful. an ER DR gave her a valium for tremors and she had to get help breathing. . .her diaphram was not getting enough instructions from her brain. . .

the Ldopa  works poorly now but it worked well enough to control almost all symptoms, including dementia, for about 4 years. another one was deprenyl (selegine) but the medicine caused heart palpitations for her.  Metroclopramide made her very disturbed and convulsive, another problem one would see in pd. Her pediatrician drew blood, administered sinemet in the office, and without her leaving the office, administered another blood test just for the dopamine levels. they dropped so rapidly as to suggest that her brain was using this medicine as fast as it was given. Ldopa doesn't work for her anymore, but her new neurologist said that no one--NO ONE-- of her age or gender, could have parkinson's . I am saying that is an extreme attitude to take. and I am looking for another doctor. And for Margaret to have Wilson's instead, wouldn't there have been the genetic markers in her blood, or copper rings in the eyes, or abnormal liver function tests? but her lab tests were normal!

I should have been more careful to say that age and genetics are not the only causes. Trauma may not be listed as the most common cause at this time, but if the medical literature I've been reading is true, it soon can be.  It reminds me of when I read in old textbook that alcohol and cigarettes do not harm a fetus. We now know otherwise. I know three peeple with pd and two of them sufffered head trauma when struck by drunken drivers. One worked in a leather factory for several decades. . . kind of like the "mad hatter".

Right now pd is is sometimes misdiagnosed as wilson's or hungtington's, as happened to Margaret recently The diet for wilson's treatment is low in protein, so a parkinsonian treated with it could  improve slightly, for a short time, then experience a rebound of symptoms as their dopamine levels dropped again, which is what i am watching her go through right now. She keep asking the same question over and over, such as "did we stop for gass?" or "I meant to cook for you." often she experiences extreme poverty of speech, slurred speech, and choking on water or drooling. Ldopa makes these symptoms less, but no longer improves her coordination like it used to.

Vagus nerve damage is another possible cause.  When she was struck by the jetski my son had to do cpr. one of the drs who diagnosed her believes she suffered oxygen loss too long, resulting in brain damage. and one of them believes that it was the neck injury, one of them believes it was the subdral hematoma. any one of these injuries can cause it.
Share life as it happens with the new Windows Live.Download today it's FREE!
http://www.windowslive.com/share.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_Wave2_sharelife_112007