Friday, December 14, 2007
In Favor of Stem Cell Research
Back in the annals of Biblical history, God performed miracles. Later on,
according to New Testament accounts, God sent his son to earth in the form
of a man. This man, Jesus by name, performed miracles of his own. Other
religious faiths recount stories of their own about miraculous fore-bearers.
Anyone who carries with them any level of religious or philosophical faith
has been exposed to the tales of the miraculous. Whether we all believe in
them or not, all of us would certainly like to believe that miracles have
happened or could happen.

Today, it is not uncommon for us to look around and wonder what happened to
all of those miraculous occurrences. Why aren't we seeing them today? Where
is this person with the magic wand that can look on the troubles of the few
or the many and, with a nod or a touch, make what is wrong turn right? Has
our God turned his back on us? Are the days of miracles the stuff of history
books and sermons?

No, they're not. The miracles are not gone. They are just coming to us from
a different direction. Miracles are performed daily now by people with the
touch of God's power through the use of their intellect. It is the human
brain that, in recent generations, has produced electricity, medical
breakthroughs, music, automation, computer chips, and an uncountable number
of truly miraculous abilities that we all mostly take for granted.

There aren't really too many miracles today that most of us would throw back
if we could. We have learned to enjoy and appreciate the progress that has
taken place in our world.

At least in most things we feel that way.

One subject, stem cell research, has emerged in our world with a large
faction on either side of the fence. There are those who embrace the medical
breakthroughs in disease control and prevention that would benefit the human
race from this point forward. There are those who think that harvesting
embryonic stem cells will lead to an increase in abortions and an increase
in the acceptance of the abortion practice.

There were those who thought that electricity came from the devil. There are
those who think the devil speaks to us through the television air waves.
There are those who believe it is against God's will to use birth control
(When are they planning to support the resulting over-population from this
control?) There are some who believe that stem cell research will get into
the hands of a mad scientist who will use the knowledge to create a race of
super-human soldiers to take over the world.

The point is, everything can get out of control. Everything can be used in
an evil way. Everything exists in our world as a double-edged sword. It is
the job of the responsible people of the world to use knowledge and power
and progress for the good of the world. If we stop all progress because
there may be some nut case out there hell-bent on destroying the planet, we
might as well just roll over and die.

Inertia will kill off the human race more surely than atomic power, swine
flu, and out of control dictators trying to use technology or medical
research to meet their own diabolical goals.

Stem cell research may well be the medical breakthrough that will change the
course of human history. Sure, it raises many questions. But, if we wait
until we have all the answers, it will be too late.

Greatness has never been achieved by taking the "safe" and "cautious"
approach. Every great outcome starts with a level of risk.
Posted by [log in to unmask] at 1:02 PM

About Me
Pittsburgh, Pa, United States
YourFoodForThought is a website devoted to sharing nutritional tips, easy
recipes and encouraging ideas helping people make that "One Small Change"
that can start them on the road to improving their lives. We are always on
the lookout for interesting ideas and especially for opportunities to
showcase some of the passions pursued by our site readers. From time to time
you can expect to find short stories, photographs, or life anecdotes on the
site, in addition to food and nutritional ideas. We want to offer
encouragement on any level. YourFoodForThought is the sponsor site for the
opinions expressed on "In My Voice". Blog search directory

Rayilyn Brown
Board Member AZNPF
Arizona Chapter National Parkinson's Foundation