As some people may have heard, St. Thomas University has locked out the
faculty union, as of December 27. I had thought it would be pretty short,
but I'm beginning to think it'll be longer. The issues are complicated, and
(in my view) almost entirely due to fantasies on both sides, which means
they're not very amenable to rational discourse.

This has immediate consequences: I have no access to my STU email, so if
you've written me, that's why you didn't get a response (try again, at
[log in to unmask]). Also, our plan to send out more information about
Inkshed 25, as a sort of New Year's gift, is delayed. I have no reason to
think that the lockout will extend into May, and so the location -- the STU
conference centre -- will stay the same; but I don't have access to the
materials we'd have needed to finalize the call for proposals.  We're going
to try to pull that together over the next couple of weeks (and maybe,
against my expectations, the union and the administration will find ways to
climb down from the positions they've erected for themselves, or maybe the
paint will dry around the corners they've painted themselves into). Stay
tuned.

-- Russ

Russ Hunt
Department of English