Dear Natasha and all --

Also Happy 2008, and also apologies for the duplication of messages:

There is free or inexpensive software that you can train to recognize
your own voice (intonation, pitch, speed, accent, etc.) and to translate
what you say into text on the screen -- though the result usually still
needs a good deal of editing. It's useful for many writers, including
those with physical disabilities. The Adaptech Research Network at
Dawson College in Montreal offers an annotated list of the relevant
programs at http://adaptech.dawsoncollege.qc.ca/fandi_enewdictation.php.

Programs that can recognize a variety of voices, as in a set of
interviews, would be a different matter. I will hope to hear from others
that such software exists.

Margaret

--
Margaret Procter, Ph.D.
University of Toronto Coordinator, Writing Support

http://www.utoronto.ca/writing