>>Please send this job ad for a sessional creative writing position at
>>Thompson Rivers University to any apprpriate lists, or anyone you know
>>who might be interested.

Faculty of Arts

Office of the Dean

Kamloops, BC V2C 5N3

Tel. (250) 828–5200

Fax (250) 371–5510

Summer Session Position in English/Creative Writing

Thompson Rivers University in Kamloops, BC, is
looking for a summer session instructor to teach the following courses:

English 333: Special Topics in Creative Writing: Storytelling

This course introduces students to contemporary storytelling from a
First Nations perspective. Students will read and listen to work from
storytellers and learn methods and strategies toward writing and
telling their own stories. Storytelling skills will include oral
traditions, pace, humour, monologue, use of language, and
interactivity, as well as the development of plot, character, and
narrative. Students will be encouraged to develop stories through
their own cultural histories, knowledge, and life experiences.

English 206: Writing Fiction

We are especially interested in instructors who
can teach some or all of the courses listed
above. Remuneration per course is $4,612.

Qualifications:

PhD or terminal degree in the appropriate
discipline required; relevant teaching
experience.  We are interested in hearing from
writers with both a PhD in English with a
Creative Writing focus, or an MFA or MA in
Creative Writing, and a background in
storytelling from a First Nations
perspective.  The ideal candidate will also have
experience in teaching the writing of fiction in
a post-secondary institution, and will have
publications (excluding self-publishing) in the genre of fiction.

Summer Session dates are as follows:

Session I: May 5 – June 20, 2008

Session II: June 23 - August 8, 2008

Location: Located 355km from Vancouver and 620km
from Calgary, Kamloops is an excellent location
to spend your summer. Kamloops is BC’s
second-sunniest city with over 2,000 hours of
sunshine each year, with an average maximum
summer temperature of 28C. When you are not
teaching, you can enjoy excellent outdoor
recreational activities such as golfing, fishing, paddling and hiking.

Accommodations: TRU's 11-storey on-campus student
residence opened in August 2006 and offers
competitive faculty rates. One, two and
four-bedroom suites are available with city and
mountain views. All suites include a private
bathroom, kitchenette, air conditioning, linens,
telephone (free local calls), high speed internet
and TV. The building has 24-hr laundry
facilities, a cardio room and a games room. Daily
continental breakfast is included in faculty rates.

All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply;
however, Canadians and permanent residents will
be given priority. Thompson Rivers University is
committed to the principle of employment equity.
Please forward current curriculum vitae, quoting
the Competition #07-174 with names, addresses and
telephone numbers of three (3) referees, along
with a copy of graduate transcripts.

Please submit your application by mail to

Human Resources Department

Thompson Rivers University

P.O. Box 3010

Kamloops, British Columbia

V2C 5N3 Canada

or by fax to

Fax 1-250-828-5338

or by email to

E-Mail <mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]

Application Deadline: Applications will be
reviewed commencing 7 January 2008, and may
continue until positions are filled.