From: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2008 6:33 PM
Subject: letter to editor on NIH research funding cuts

Letter to editor of Daily Herald (Suburban Chicago) written by a friend...
Bush fails millions of chronically ill                          OAS_AD(
'Middle1' );             Millions of Americans living with incurable
illnesses awoke Christmas morning to find coal in their stockings, left by
President Bush and his allies in Congress.
Before leaving town for the holidays, Congress passed the Consolidated
Appropriations Act for 2008, which increased funding for the National
Institutes of Health by less than half a percent -- far short of the 3.1
percent increase included in a previous version of the bill vetoed by the
president.
This is the fifth year in a row that this "caring and compassionate"
administration has put federal funding for biomedical research on the back
burner, where it has failed to keep pace with inflation.
The repercussions of this short-sighted policy extend far beyond those whose
lives and quality of life will be cut short. Every American ultimately will
pay the price of the further erosion of our nation's leadership in science
and the global economy.
The "temporarily healthy" must join with the chronically ill to demand
sufficient federal funding for biomedical research. Opportunities missed
today delay cures and better treatments that already take years and even
decades to bring to market.
Vice President Dick Cheney, whose heart is monitored and regulated by an
internal cardioverter-defibrillator, owes his life to previous
administrations that better understood the value of and were more generous
in funding biomedical research.
As one of millions of Americans living with a progressive, incurable
disease, I promise you I "will not go quietly into the night." I will not
stop fighting for federal funding of the research that promises cures. Our
children and grandchildren deserve nothing less.
Sheryl Jedlinski
Palatine
http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=106594