i don't think there's a simple answer like "give us back our taxes and let
us pay" or "the government should pay".

if we all pay out of pocket there'd be more people like you spending all
their savings to cover a disease they had no way of predicting and no hand
in causing.   this is different than say people that do really risky things,
or don't plan for the future.   no one knows why parkinson's chooses who it
does.   i think its reasonable to spread the cost out amongst all society
for treatment.

if the government controls health care, there will be no choice.   at least
now if an insurance company gets a bad reputation you can go somewhere else
before it happens to you.  there's only one government,  if the government
does a lousy job our only recourse is to elect a new president and hope
something changes, which could take years.

there are in-between solutions and i think we can look around the world for
examples of what works and what doesn't.   for instance, increased
regulation by the government of private insurance could get rid of the
horror stories we've all read about where insurance company employees are
paid bonuses for finding ways to NOT pay for care.   the government could
also do a better job at stimulating cost reductions.

our health care is the most expensive, but the system is nowhere near the
best overall.    see "sicko" for examples, like the man who lost two fingers
in work-related accident;  his insurance would only cover the cost for
re-attaching one of the fingers.  if you want cosmetic plastic surgery and
have large amounts of money to spare it is probably pretty good.   those
plastic surgeons all had their education subsidized by you and me.

-a

PS US hospitals are full of MRSA too.   A doctor usually gives you about 5
minutes of consultation in an office visit.