# 403 Wednesday, January 2, 2007 - Introducing Mark Pera, a Democratic
candidate for Congress in Illinois'

Dear friend of stem cell research,
My name is Mark Pera and I'm a Democratic candidate for Congress in
Illinois' 3rd district. I'm writing you today to ask you an important
question. Have you, like me, wondered why a Democratically-controlled
Congress cannot override President Bush's endless mistakes, including his
opposition to stem cell research?
Part of the blame belongs to a handful of Democrats, including Congressman
Dan Lipinski, who have consistently voted with Bush on many issues important
to Democrats, including the critical issue of stem-cell research.
We have an opportunity on Feb. 5 to defeat Dan Lipinski in the Democrat
primary. In a strong Democratic district like ours, if I win the primary, we
are very confident we can win general election.
When it comes to the issue of stem cell research, the differences between
Lipinski and myself are clear.
Lipinski has consistently voted against embryonic stem cell research. Even
his support of HR 2807, the "Patients First Act" is misleading. His bill was
crafted with the help of the anti-stem cell research Family Research Council
and was supported by the Bush White House. It stacks the deck against
embryonic stem cell research.
Today, an estimated 100 million Americans suffer from incurable disease and
disability, which might be alleviated or even cured by stem cell therapies.
Health care costs are going through the roof, but stem cell research may
vastly lower the medical costs that have affected so many families.
Stem cell research offers new and well-paying jobs in the biomedical
industry as well.
Democrats in Illinois, like the majority of Americans, support the research
because it can ease suffering, save lives, and provide well-paying jobs.
Ideologues like President Bush and Lipinski have had their way too long.  It
is time for government to be on our side.
We can fix this problem, but we have to fix Washington first. I need your
help now so that I can be a spokesperson for change in Congress. Your
contribution to our campaign will help us maintain our momentum and insure
that we keep getting our message out to the voters in this district.
To read about my views on this issue and others, please visit
www.PERA08.com.
Sincerely,
Mark Pera

Don Reed
www.stemcellbattles.com
Don C. Reed is co-chair (with Karen Miner) of Californians for Cures, and
writes for their web blog, www.stemcellbattles.com. Reed was citizen-sponsor
for California's Roman Reed Spinal Cord Injury Research Act of 1999, named
after his paralyzed son; he worked as a grassroots advocate for California's
Senator Deborah Ortiz's three stem cell regulatory laws, served as an
executive board member for Proposition 71, the California Stem Cells for
Research and Cures Act, and is director of policy outreach for Americans for
Cures. The retired schoolteacher is the author of five books and thirty
magazine articles, and has received the National Press Award.

Rayilyn Brown
Board Member AZNPF
Arizona Chapter National Parkinson's Foundation