Embryo biopsy harmless -- really
Posted by Kerry Grens
[Entry posted at 11th January 2008 05:50 PM GMT]
In findings that confirm previous ones ultimately dismissed as hype in 2006,
scientists have shown that it is possible to create stem cells from an
embryo without destroying it.

In a study published online this week in Cell Stem Cell, scientists led by
Advanced Cell Technology's Robert Lanza removed one cell from an eight-cell
embryo and created viable lines of stem cells. The embryos developed
normally for five days after the procedure, which was similar to the single
cell biopsy that fertility clinics perform (called preimplantation genetic
diagnosis, or PGD). The stem cell lines could retain pluripotency and
develop into all three germ layers.

Lanza and his colleagues published similar evidence in 2006, but they relied
on indirect evidence to conclude that the technique was benign. Despite
this, a press release from Nature, where the paper was published, and
numerous news reports hailed the findings as the ethical antidote to
embryonic stem cell research. (Corrections from Nature's press office
followed.)

In reference to this latest study, Lanza told the Washington Post, "The
biopsy had no effect on the embryos' development."

I wonder if some of the major news outlets were turned off by the 2006
kerfuffle. These latest data appear much more compelling than those in the
2006 report. Yet some of the major news outlets that covered Lanza's
previous findings seemed to have overlooked or ignored this latest study.

I called Advanced Cell Technology's press contact just before posting this
and will post an update once I hear back from Lanza.

Rayilyn Brown
Board Member AZNPF
Arizona Chapter National Parkinson's Foundation