Sunday, January 20, 2008
This ranks among the most morally illicit acts, ethically speaking ...

Researchers from Stemagen a private stem-cell research company in
California, have created human clones by the same techniques used to clone
other mammals. The clones only went through a few cell divisions before
being discarded [Ethical storm as scientist becomes first man to clone
HIMSELF].

There's nothing remarkable about the science. It's one step toward cloning
humans using standard procedures that have been worked out over the past
three decades. What's remarkable is the reaction to this announcement. I'm
still having trouble figuring out what is the ethical problem here.

I think it's all related to abortion. If you are opposed to allowing a woman
to decide what to do with her own body then you're also against stem cell
research. The "ethical issue" is mostly confined to religious people (men?)
who oppose abortion. At least that's how it appears to me.

Stemagen isn't doing anything wrong; they make this clear on their webpage.

All research at Stemagen is performed in strict accordance with US Federal
Regulations for the ethical treatment and protection of human subjects
covered in the 45 CFR Part 46 policy issued by the Office of Human Research
Protection (OHRP). More specifically, this requires that all research
involving human eggs, embryos or human subjects be approved and carefully
monitored by an independent Institutional Review Board (IRB) composed of
members of the medical and general community, with additional ethical and
legal expertise sought when required.

Those who choose to donate oocytes (eggs) and embryos for this type of
research do so through informed consents that follow the guidelines for
Human Embryonic Stem Cell Research from the National Academy of Sciences
(www.nationalacademies.org).

Stemagen's mission is to maintain exemplary standards in human embryonic
stem cell research in accordance with the highest ethical and research
principles.
This is an important point in so-called "ethical" debates. The scientists
are not being unethical and many observers, like me, don't see any ethical
problem. Others see an ethical problem as described in the newspaper
article.

John Smeaton, of the Society for the Protection of Unborn Children, said:
"We have got scientists wandering around in an ethical wilderness,
forgetting about matters of justice relating to our fellow human beings.

"We have people creating human beings with the intention of destroying them.
That's appalling."

And the Vatican condemned the cloning of human embryos, calling it the
"worst type of exploitation of the human being".

"This ranks among the most morally illicit acts, ethically speaking," said
Monsignor Elio Sgreccia, president of the Pontifical Academy for Life, the
Vatican department that helps oversee the Church's position on bioethics
issues.
Here's the issue. At what point does something become an "ethical" issue for
society? How many people have to be against something on "ethical" grounds"
in order for it to become an ethical problem?

What if their objections are irrational? For example I imagine that US
Presidential candidate Mike Huckabee is against stem cell research but his
reasons are likely to be as ridiculous as his reasons for opposing same-sex
marriage. Does that still count as an ethical problem? It seems to me that
elevating stupidity to the level of "ethics" is not the way we want to go.

Why couldn't the headline have been "No Ethical Problem, According to Most
Atheists?" Why do we let religious groups define ethics for us? I don't
subscribe to their version of ethics, do you?

Posted by Larry Moran at 8:20 AM
Labels: Ethics, Rationalism v Superstition, Society

Rayilyn Brown
Board Member AZNPF
Arizona Chapter National Parkinson's Foundation