Embryonic stem cell research is prohibited in Arizona.  The Center for
Arizona Policy is a right-wing institution that wields a great deal of power
on many issues in the Arizona State Legislature
Ray

Church protest fails to derail stem-cell bill

SANTA FE - Hundreds of people came to the Legislature today for a committee
hearing on the bill to make embryonic stem-cell research legal in New
Mexico.
So many showed up that there wasn't enough room for most of them in the
committee room.  And most of those present appeared to be against the bill.
Senate Public Affairs Committee chair Sen. Dede Feldman, D-Albuquerque,
rejected an appeal from one person to move the hearing to a larger room
saying that's usually planned in advance.
She allowed five people to speak on the bill on each side of the issue
Archbishop Michael Sheehan of the Archdiocese of Santa Fe was among those
present for the hearing.
The Catholic Diocese opposes the bill saying an embryo is a life that should
not be destroyed for any reason, but adopted.
The diocese also brings up recent advances in skin cell research.
Last year Harvard scientists announced they'd turned rejuvenated skin cells
into what appear to be embryonic stem cells.
Some said that eliminates the need for using embryonic stem cell research.
"Why not put our money on research that doesn't have these ethical
problems?" Sheehan asked.  "We stand strongly in favor of scientific
research but not scientific research that kills innocent human life."
Proponents of the bill said it would only allow parents to donate the
embryos to research instead of discarding them and that they're the parents'
property.  Those include the mother of Cody Unser who is partially paralyzed
from a rare neurological syndrome and appeared with Gov. Bill Richardson at
a news conference Monday announcing introduction of the bill.
"I am Catholic; Cody is Catholic," Shelly Unser said.  "This has been a very
difficult thing, as a mother and as a Catholic mother, to deal with, and I'm
sure it is for a lot of people.
"But I think the science speaks for itself."
Advocates of embryonic research said it provides the only possible cure for
countless diseases and conditions like Parkinson's and spinal cord injuries.
Governor  Richardson is backing the bill that also looks for $2 million to
hire researchers and train students.  A similar bill died in the legislature
last session due in part to pressure from the Catholic Church.
The governor then called lawmakers back to two special sessions saying that
was one bill he wanted passed.  It still didn't happen.
This afternoon the Senate committee voted 6-2 to give the bill a do-pass
recommendation and send it on to the Senate Judiciary Committee for further
hearings.
The bill as written restricts the use of stem cells and provides penalties
for things like human reproductive cloning.  It prohibits creating an embryo
for the sole purpose research.
Reporter:  Michael Herzenberg | Web Producer:  Bill Diven

Rayilyn Brown
Board Member AZNPF
Arizona Chapter National Parkinson's Foundation