Re:Bob Allison's comment of Jan 24- serious error

Advil is in no way an antibiotic and does not prevent or cure infections. It is a brand of Ibuprofen, which was originally a prescription drug called Motrin. It decreases swelling after injury and is really great for muscle and back pains. My son has had back surgery, is very active (boats and bike racing) and tells me that, when he has pain,  Ibuprofen works fastest but Naproxen Sodium (Aleve) lasts longer, while being slower to act. That effect may not be true for everyone.

I am an engineer, not a doctor, but used to sail long distance and had some training. When you run a fever, you need an antibiotic, but the type should be chosen by a doctor. There are many drug-resistant bugs around - we have created them (such as drug-resistant TB) by not taking  medicines properly and by the common practice of feeding antibiotics to animals kept in unsanitary cages (hopefully this is being reduced).

Advil PM and Tylenol PM both also have a gentle sleep aid added, Diphenhydramine hydrochloride (the same as Benadryl)

Art Halenbeck, retired engineer and care-giver