Stem cell research bill clears Senate
By DEBORAH BAKER Associated Press Writer
Article Launched: 01/29/2008 01:55:20 PM MST

SANTA FE-For the second year in a row, a bill authorizing stem cell research
on embryos in New Mexico has been narrowly approved by the state Senate.
The vote was 20-18 for the measure supported by Gov. Bill Richardson.
The legislation would allow research only on embryos slated to be destroyed
at fertility clinics.
It now goes to the House, where opponents-including the state's Roman
Catholic bishops-will try to kill it. A similar bill that passed the Senate
in 2007 died in the House Judiciary Committee.
The work on embryonic stem cells would be done at the University of New
Mexico Health Sciences Center, where research already is under way using
adult stem cells.
Richardson is separately asking the Legislature to allocate $2 million to
UNM to recruit researchers and jump-start the new program.
Unlike many controversial issues that break down along party lines, there
were Democrats and Republicans on both sides of Monday's vote.
The bill's sponsor, Albuquerque Republican Sen. John Ryan, said embryonic
stem cell research "is the hope for many people in New Mexico and across the
country" who suffer from diseases such as Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, multiple
sclerosis and diabetes.

"The clock is ticking for our loved ones who have these diseases, and we
cannot afford further delay," said Sen. Dede Feldman, D-Albuquerque.
Couples who have leftover embryos at in vitro fertilization clinics could
donate them for research rather than have them discarded by the clinics,
under the legislation. Cloning would be prohibited.

Lawmakers portrayed their opposition as a pro-life stance.
Senate Majority Whip Mary Jane Garcia, D-Dona Ana, said she did "not want to
be accused in my re-election of being a baby killer."

"This is most clearly murder. This is a live human, and we are taking away
that life," said Senate Republican Whip Leonard Lee Rawson of Las Cruces.
But GOP Sen. Rod Adair of Roswell argued that neither position on the bill
could be considered pro-life: In either scenario, embryos would be
destroyed. A vote for the bill was the better of the two choices, he said,
and "might give the gift of life to someone in the future."
Allen Sanchez, executive director of the New Mexico Conference of Catholic
Bishops, said the church regards it as a pro-life issue because it objects
to "giving our state the authority to take human life."
Richardson applauded the Senate, saying it "recognized that our clinical
research laws are out of date, and we should move forward to conduct
potentially life-saving research under careful conditions and important
restrictions."
---
The stem cell bill is SB23.
---
 http://www.legis.state.nm.us

Rayilyn Brown
Board Member AZNPF
Arizona Chapter National Parkinson's Foundation