Jim

I'm not on ANY PD drugs and haven't taken any since I tried Stalevo and
Comtran again after my DBS almost 5 years ago.  S and C didn't help and gave
me abdominal dyskinesias or twitching.  The most noticeable thing about DBS
is the tremor control, which no drug ever accomplished.  I seem to have
"plateaued" at where I was in 2003 re micrographia, ability to walk, etc.
My voice got worse though.  Also  I don't have dystonia anymore, but
sometimes have leg cramps in bed. When my tremors became bilateral in 2003 I
decided to try  DBS.  They were the symptom that bothered me the most.

From what I've heard, DBS seems most effective in PD tremor control,
including essential or familial tremor too.  Usually, PWP without tremor
don't go for DBS.  DBS did not help all my symptoms, but except for voice, I
have not gotten worse.  My neuro thinks my flexibility is pretty good.  It
is difficult to tell what I would be like if I had never had it done.

The thing that makes this so difficult, is that everyone with PD responds
differently to drugs and this surgery.  This is why I worry about a one size
fits all "cure".

Good luck.

Ray

Rayilyn Brown
Board Member AZNPF
Arizona Chapter National Parkinson's Foundation