> If my memory serves me well (sometimes it does not) The **American
> Medical Society, just last year, altered the standard Pd protocol.
> The new standard indicates that doctors should hold off on
> prescribing sinemet  and to start treatment regimens with Dopamine
> agonists.

here are the AAN: New Parkinson's Disease Treatment Guidelines:
SAN DIEGO, April 7 1006 - New guidelines for the treatment of Parkinson's
disease, issued by the American Academy of Neurology, are more proscriptive
than prescriptive.
Action Points
Doctors should explain to patients that new guidelines found
no "neuroprotective" therapies to have any value.

Note that the guidelines leave to the art of medicine decisions such as the
order of the selection of drugs for treatment.

Doctors should screen all Parkinson's patients for depression.

"We did not describe in what order useful drugs for the treatment of
Parkinson's disease should be used," said William Weiner, M.D., of the
University of Maryland School of Medicine in Baltimore. "That still remains
part of the art of medicine."
Yet the guidelines, released simultaneously in Neurology and at the AAN
meeting here, were quite explicit about agents of neuroprotection -- drugs
that can prevent or turn back the disease: There are none, the guidelines
said.
"These guidelines inform the physician -- as well as patients -- that there is
no neuroprotective therapy that has shown any proven value," said Dr.
Weiner. "The guidelines demonstrate that nutritional supplementation, for
example, do not work."
About the only steps that appear to have any value are exercise and physical
therapy, he said.
The guidelines were divided into four broad areas, with 20 specific
recommendations sprinkled through. The broad areas included:
Diagnosis and prognosis of new-onset disease;
Neuroprotective treatments and alternative therapies;
Management of Parkinson's disease with motor fluctuations and dyskinesia;
Depression, psychosis, and dementia that are associated with Parkinson's
disease.
The guidelines, available at the AAN's Web site, replaced recommendations from
the academy that have been in effect since 2002, said Dr. Weiner, who
discussed the recommendations at a press briefing.
"The previous guidelines looked at when patients with Parkinson's disease
begin to develop symptoms that are troublesome and require treatment, and
what medications should be started," he said. "These guidelines are much
different because they offer a much more comprehensive view of Parkinson's
disease."
He particularly noted that the guidelines specifically addressed treatment
issues with individuals who have depression and other psychological
comorbidities along with Parkinson's disease.
At the briefing, Janis Miyasaki, M.D., of the Movement Disorders Center at
Toronto Western Hospital, said that 70% of patients with Parkinson's disease
have depression. The new guidelines recommend that clinicians evaluate
individuals diagnosed with Parkinson's disease with the Beck Depression
Inventory and the Hamilton Depression Rating Scale to pinpoint the extent of
Parkinson's-related depression.
Tests such as the Mini Mental State Examination and the Cambridge Cognitive
Examination should be used to screen for dementia in such patients, Dr.
Miyasaki added.
The guidelines included the use of new drugs, Comtan (entacapone) and Azilect
(rasagiline), and indicated that there is a role in treatment for deep brain
stimulation. Rajesh Pahwa, M.D., of the University of Kansas Medical Center
in Kansas City, said evidence supports use of Comtan and Azilect to
reduce "off" time in patients whose disease has progressed and whose
medication provides less reliable amelioration of symptoms.
Dr. Pahwa noted that progress in deep-brain stimulation led to an update in
the guidelines, which now read: "Deep brain stimulation of the subthalamic
nucleus may [help] improve motor function and reduce motor fluctuations,
dyskinesia and medication usage." The guidelines said further evidence is
required to support deep brain stimulation in other areas of the body.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Neurology/ParkinsonsDisease/tb/3025

maryse