Janet

I think, but am not sure, that "double-dipping" is unique to certain states.
I taught in Califiornia and Reagan was Governor of  California although the
law that made us taxed twice on teacher pension deductions from our
paychecks was 1986 when Reagan was President.  Up until 1986 we were only
taxed when we earned the money, not again after it was "annuitized".   I'm
paying AGAIN now on ALL my pension "income".  I get $144.00/month SS and
will never get any more.

It was very difficult to do, but if you got PD BEFORE you retired (like you)
you migiht get a much better teacher's pension for disability.  I retired at
55 and was diagnosed with PD at age 60 so there was no way I could do
anything about my teacher's pension.  However, in CA it was almost
impossible to get...I remember a guy who had some ghastly disease, ALS
maybe, who only got disability from the school district  after an awful
prolonged fight.

As an aside, but related issue, I just ordered a "walk-in,  sit-down-in seat
bath", as my current shower is so dangerous.  It is very very expensive for
me.  I learned that in Britain and Canada under "socialized" medicine, the
government pays for it since in the long run it is cheaper to keep people
OUT of nursing homes. That ought to make sense to any reasonable person.  My
visiting nurse was there too and agreed with the salesperson that a broken
hip from a fall could be a big problem for me as I age and the PD progresses
and I continue existing on my own.

Since you already have PD and can get teacher  pension disability you are in
a better position than I was.  I just never got the SS I had earned from
wages as a secretary before and after teaching.  I don't know how or why
this worked the way it did, but unlike most teachers, I actually earned my
meager SS benefits.

Here's hoping New York is different from CA and you can get SS disability
too.

Ray

Rayilyn Brown
Board Member AZNPF
Arizona Chapter National Parkinson's Foundation