Janet, I know you posted this topic many days ago,
but it took me these several days to get my posts
from bouncing back.

I have written LTD polices, part of my last job
before disability.

As Steve said, it is very common for disability
policies to say the all policy benefits will be
offset any other disability benefits/awards
received.  For example, if you are awarded via an
employers/private disability plan $2,000 and then
you received an SSDI award of $1,000, then the
employer/private policy will reduce your benefit
from that plan to $1,000.  So, that in the end you
NEVER received more than $2,000 per month.

In addition, my plan, which I helped write form
the employers perspective (and now I am on the
other side of this fence for seven years
now...ugh) says that ANY income I earn MUST be
reported to the policy holder so that they can
again reduce my months monthly benefits by this
amount.  If it is not reported and the insurer
catches wind of the income, then I become in
violation of the policy and it is gone in a
heart-beat!!

So, I work as a volunteer at everything I do so
that, 1) I don't cause a "so she can work"
attitude from the insurer, which isn't hard to do,
and 2) it is useless for me to earn any kind of
income at all...what good is it to have an income
that I can't benefit from to pay my bills.

The other item is that most (not all) disability
policies end at age 65, mine does.  At this point
I will have only whatever Social Security
provides...very scary!

READ YOU POLICY THOROUGHLY!!! I can't stress this
enough!!  Understand it as completely as
possible!!

Carolyn

I am responsible. Although I may not be able to
prevent the worst from happening, I am responsible
for my attitude toward the inevitable misfortunes
that darken life. Bad things do happen; how I
respond to them defines my character and the
quality of my life. I can choose to sit in
perpetual sadness, immobilized by the gravity of
my loss, or I can choose to rise from the pain and
treasure the most precious gift I have - life
itself. ---Walter Anderson quotes