Nina, posted a great list of How to Survive.  I am
single with no second income, so as with many of
us, it is especially hard to plan on what SS will
or will not do and the speed with which they will
do it.

The difficultly/success of the process is also
State to State.  Although it is a Federal program
(Social Security) it is managed by each State, and
they are each so so different. I started my
process in 2000 in Florida.  After two years I had
not one single word from them.  I moved to south
central NYS in 2003.  I re-filed there.  Within
two weeks I had an appointment for a physical with
an SS doctor.  (I didn't take any meds that
morning and even though I probably could have
driven myself, I made sure my daughter drove me to
the appointment.  Within two weeks of this appoint
I had an Award Letter in the mail.

I do understand the "what will I do if I live on
no-income for a period of time or have not health
insurance for a period of time."  I faced this
problem.  Here is a thought some may want to
consider.  I knew my disability insurance took
three months to kick in.  I crunched and crunched
number here at home.  I finally decided to step
down from my middle management position and take a
supervisory position.  Of course I didn't tell my
employer I had this plan, but it worked for me.
My disability was approved (employers plan)
because I "can't work at my original position" and
at the end of the three months I quit and went to
that disability.

When I received my SS award it was a good day
(retro to April 1 2003, not back to my initial
disability date or the date I left work Nov 1,
2000), but when I calculated when Medicare would
kick in.ouch.two years after the Award date, I
could see that I would have six months of NO
health insurance coverage at all, as my COBRA
would lapse before the two years.  Luckily for me
I remained healthy for those six months!

Today, I have LTD plus SSDI (of course the LTD is
offset by the SSDI amount.a bummer) and I have
Medicare and a Medigap Plan.  I truly do not
understand why the Medicate Advantage Plan(s) are
even offered.  What do they do that a combination
of Medicare and Medigap don't do.  I have never
paid out a penny for anything, except for my
annual eye exam, which has a $25
co-payment/deductible.  I have never found a
physician who didn't take Medicare.  And I don't
live in a metropolitan city.  Don't here in PA,
didn't in rural south central NYS.

Carolyn

I am responsible. Although I may not be able to
prevent the worst from happening, I am responsible
for my attitude toward the inevitable misfortunes
that darken life. Bad things do happen; how I
respond to them defines my character and the
quality of my life. I can choose to sit in
perpetual sadness, immobilized by the gravity of
my loss, or I can choose to rise from the pain and
treasure the most precious gift I have - life
itself.      Walter Anderson quotes