Sorry about not using plain text before (which makes the listserv post not
wrap lines and it's hard to read)  here is is again.
Peggy Willocks I have been reading all of the emails regarding Social
Security (SS) disability, and I would like to add my perspective (and I
apologize for the length of this post, but it is IMPORTANT!)   I draw both
state retirement as a teacher (Tennessee) and social security disability. I
don't consider this "double-dipping" because it is two separate pots from
which I draw.  Double dipping would be like being retired from the military
after 20 years, then working until retirement age for the Veterans
Administration, drawing two retirements from the same government funded
source.  I personally don't see anything wrong with that; if you did the
service you should reap the benefits.

 I believe each state has its own set of rules, but those of which I am
aware definitely allow you to draw from BOTH retirements, if you are vested
by your state.  (In Tennessee, you become vested after 5 consequtive years
of employment, with the premium is based on your top 5 years of salary.)  I
was told to apply for the SS, then apply for the State, because if you are
SS disability approved, the State automatically approves you for theirs.  My
two retirements went through with no difficulties.

Here are some important things to know:
1.  You must not have worked for 5 months before you can apply for SS
disability.  (you can apply, but it will automatically be rejected.  I guess
the 5 months is to see if your disability is something that will improve
with time.)
2.  Get reports from EVERY doctor you have visited since your claimed
disability (for instance, if you saw a podiatrist for an insert in your
shoes- report that.  The orthodics might be related to your having PD by
your gait.)
3.  Be as detailed and specific as you can, especially when you report your
schedule of activities for a day.  (Tell how you have to sit your meds by
your bedsidde because you cannot get up safely in the mornings for fear of
falling - if this is your case.  Tell how you must wait until the meds kick
in to be functional, etc.  Don't leave anything out.)
4.  When reporting anything on the mounds of questionnaires and papers you
must complete, think about why you would not be a good employee and include
that thought throughout your papers.  (example:  you are prone to falls, you
must take medicine every ? hours and it must be on time, you cannot be
considered reliable as you don't know when the medications will work, etc.).
5.  Be certain to include any mental difficulties associated with your
having PD.  (Depression, cognitive difficulty, memory problems, etc.)
Deficiencies in all of these areas make you less than a desirable employee.
6.  Remember, the older you are when you apply for disability, the easier it
will be to get approved.  This is because the SS Administration wants to
give you every opportunity, especially if you are nowhere close to regular
retirement, to return to the workforce (they even have a program where you
can work for a while to see if you can re-enter the workforce).

With the help of a friend, we wrote a page of tips on applying for SS
disability.  I worked with a lawyer to update the article several years ago,
but most of the stuff is still revelant (the lawyer still has it posted on
his site).  http://www.ccastle.org/adisabil.html

My application went through the first time without any problems