I agree.  I don't think that drawing a teacher's pension and having my
social security  disability cut by 60% -  this is based on social security
credits I earned as a secretary before and after I was a teacher, is double
dipping.  But what I think does not matter.  Every time we get a SS raise
they take it out for Medicare so I never have and never will have more than
$144/mon.  This was due to  Reagan's "double dipper" law in CA.  Also, in
1986 our teacher pension contributions were annuitized so we pay income tax
twice, once when we earn it and a second time when we get a  pension
payment.
I tried to fight it.  There is nothing I can do.  I was receiving a LAUSD
teacher's pension when I was diagnosed with PD in 1996.  I got my social
security disability  2 years  later at age 62.  It should  have been around
$400-500/mo., not $144 which it still is 10 years later.

It sounds to me like it all depends on where you live and who you draw in
the system.  On the 2nd try I got something, although I don't know if it was
worth my trouble.  Teachers in CA get Medicare without having worked for it
like I did.  The Medicare is good along with my secondary, so I am lucky.
Two DBSs didn't cost me a dime.

Ray
Rayilyn Brown
Board Member AZNPF
Arizona Chapter National Parkinson's Foundation